26s spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
macgregor 26s Canyon lake
I'm draggin my 26s out of mothballs and start sailing again. I bought it new in 91 and sailed a lot for 10 years then less and less and none for last 5 years. I've had a new spinnaker for it that I bought from a guy who sold his 26 like 15 years ago. but I never rigged it up. Has any one else have a pinnaker on their 26s If so any advice?

I have a general Idea about the rigging but could use specifics (Measurments / Placements) unique to 26s to avoid mistakes.:eek: thanks.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Hey Dogleg

I've flown a spinny on my Mac D. My first question to you is do you have a crew member capable of setting and taking down the sail? Is the sail cut to be flown from the hounds, or is it flown from the mastheag. Symmetrical or assymetrical? Where are you sheeting it to? DDW only or are going to try to come up to a broad reach with it?

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
OREANA123

Thanks for the reply. Well I hate to admit it but the spinnaker is in the bag and in storage along with my 26. I have not looked at the sail since I boutght it and I am assumeing that it is Symectrical since it came with a pole. It was bought from Macgregor for the 26 I think. I have had it for some time and bought it because It was such a good deal at the time and it was made for my boat but I never rigged it due to not having a crew or skipper:redface: that knew how to fly it. I mostly single handed it back then. It was one of thoes round tuit things. I have resently got the sailing bug again and can't wait to get on the water and start rigging on my boat again. You are right thou I guess I should look in the bag before I jump in.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Here is a diagram for running the lines. Its on a 26X but its the same idea.
The spinnaker should be raised to the fractional height on the 26 D and 26S. that is ware the stays attach. If you go to the top it may snap the mast as the only thing holding it would be the aft stay.
So I guess you will need a double block for the jib to fly it. Or don't use the jib at the same time. (There is a factory video on you tube showing it being flown with the jib and main up as well.) Sorry I don't have the link.

Attachments

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
Thanks Finding 41
I have a roller fuler so my jib sheet is free I just did not know if I need to move it up any or not.

thanks

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Finding 41
I have a roller fuler so my jib sheet is free I just did not know if I need to move it up any or not.

thanks
You shouldn't have to move anything. I would just use the jib sheet. (What is holding your furler up?) Check and see if the spinnaker is symmetrical or A. That determines how to use it.

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
My roller furler is on my forstay. My jib halyard block is right below it, so I did not know if it would interfer or not or if I need to move it above the forstay/roller furler. The roller furler has a 130 genoa on it. If I don't have to move anything that would be great. Thanks Dogleg PS sorry I just noticed I used sheet vs halyard in the previous post. I'll get back in the lingo soon I hope.:redface:

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
The spinnaker block has got to be above the forestay, or you will have problems. Just saying.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
The reason I asked about the intended points of sail is because it is possible to fly the spinnaker DDW without snapping anything. It is when side loads are imposed on the mast above the hounds that the spinnaker could damage the mast.

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
Ill have to wait till after I get off of this job ( maybe 2 weeks or so )and then I will check out the sail and see what kind it is. I would not want to take a chance and damage my mast. So if I moved the block up it would be just enough to clear the forestay, and I think it is on a bail of some sort. maybe not I'll have to see. thanks

Nov 23, 2011
Dogleg. Have you seen the Code 1, etc furling spinnakers? Check YouTube. There very nice! You will need a bowsprit to fly one.

Status
Not open for further replies.