26s--replacing center valve gasket assbly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2009
Macgregor 22, 26S Norfolk
1993--just purchased a replacement valve assembly. Now the question. How to I install it? The bottom part will obviousely go in from the botton of the hull--but how to I tighten that nut which will be inside the tank?

Feb 8, 2009
1993--just purchased a replacement valve assembly. Now the question. How to I install it? The bottom part will obviousely go in from the botton of the hull--but how to I tighten that nut which will be inside the tank?
Well, okay. Im a dummy. Just realized that nut goes in from the bottom.
Now--Do I need to tighten that lock nut before installation?? What is the purpose of the nut?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
26s? wat nut?
AFAIK,
the bottom valve is metal puck with rubber gasket btw the metal and the fg hull, connected to a threaded rod going thru boat to top of ballast (under ladder), to another rubber gasket, and a large wing nut (flat threaded SS.)

maybe the lock nut goes on top of all that?

I think my threaded rod is drilled and has a cotter pin.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Are you referring to the nut on the short shaft? I was wondering about that too. Mine doesn't have that nut. If I take the wing nut off the long shaft inside the boat, the assembly can just fall out the bottom. But mine also has a drilled hole, like the picture, and like MrBill's, with a cotter ring in it to keep from removing the wing nut accidentally.

Attachments

JMonda

Aug 1, 2009
2 26S Alaqua Bayou
I agree with MrBill. I replaced my valve 2 years ago. The little shaft (in my opinion) exists to keep the valve centered. The only way to install it alone is to get it seated and then prop a board up against it so it can't fall down while you go inside and install the wingnut.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Can you tie a messenger line to the cotter ring, then lower it enough to change the gasket?

Feb 8, 2009
Yes, I guess it is a guide. I used the prop a board technique and got it in. But I did not tighten the nut any. It is a lock nut. Perhaps I should have tightened it, but like you say, the cotter pin/ring at the top will prevent it from falling out.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yeah, I agree it's just a guide, maybe just an oversight when they took the picture, someone put a nut on the end.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Could you just reach in the bottom hole and start the nut with your fingers just enuff to keep the assembly in place untill you get aboard to secure the uper nut, or better yet tighten the lower nut with a wrench (bent?)?

It would garantee that the valve would not fall out if the stopper ring failed.

I don't have a 26c but it lools like about a 3 inch hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.