26S keel cable connection

Mar 6, 2022
Macgregor 26S Mobile
My keel line broke on me today.. the metal cable looks to have frayed and snapped while trying to retrieve it. i am a certified diver and plan on replacing everything in the slip where she sits now.

My Question is: does anyone have and details or pictures on how the cable connects to the keel itself?

I searched around and found a few pics that only left me more confused and because vis is limited to non existent in the river I'd like to make sure I understand the connection before going below if possible.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Not sure on a 26, but it can’t be much different than any other. My 25 had a bolt going through the iron and a washer and nut retaining the cable.

The only problem I see is getting the bolt that retains the cable out of the keel. Mine broke and needed to be drilled out. It was stuck good and took quite a while to get it drilled out. I was eventually able to drive it out with a punch, but well after I drilled 1/2 way through it. Putting the new bolt in was simple, it went right in, this time I used anti seize on it, so we will see if corrosion holds it tight if I ever have to remove again.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I snapped my keel cable sailing in Lake Travis last year. Made the mistake of trying to use the kicker to back me out after I struck bottom. To get it back on the trailer I looped a rope under the boat, starting at the bow and walking it back until I could pull the rudder up using a winch to assist.
You have the advantage of being able to use scuba gear. I had to just hold my breath. I recall it taking about 5 trips to get the job done.
I don't have pictures, but here is how mine works (I have a 26S as well): The cable feeds into a hole in the aft edge of the centerboard which opens into a hole that passes port to starboard through the centerboard. There is a loop in that end of the cable through which a bolt passes which holds the cable in place.
The process is as follows: Pull the bolt and cable out one side or the other of the centerboard. Since your cable is broken, you can just pull it out. Undo the nut from the bolt so it can be removed from the loop in the broken cable. Feed the new cable down through the tube in the compartment between the head and the saloon. Pass the loop in the end of the cable through the hole in the aft edge of the centerboard and out one side or the other of the transverse hole. Reinstall the retaining nut and bolt and work it back into place in the transverse hole.
The cable and rope can be bought from Blue Water Yachts:
CENTERBOARD CABLE ASSY, 26C
It comes with instructions.