26m towing with engine on

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

How large of a motor can you put on a Macgregor 26m? Can you leave the motor on while towing?

S

sardo

A dealer installed motor ...

Since factory limitations allow up to a 50hp engine, it is installed by your dealer and is pretty much bolted onto the transom using 1/2" or 7/16" bolts and locknuts. A sealer is applied to the bolts when they are installed and hence, must be reseated whenever the motor is removed and re-installed. This lends me to believe the transom was designed for the addition of a warrantable engine as a permanent fixture and removal of such engine is not necessary when trailering the boat.

Jul 11, 2004
Macgregor 25 Saint Cloud Florida, City Marina
It depends

If you have a small 2 stroke engine like I have on my MAC25 (evinrude 9.9hp), then it is easy enough to unclamp it from the transom mount and haul it in the tow vehicle. Tom

M

MArk

Heavy lifting

The Honda 50 weighs at least 220 pounds. What would you remove it with?

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
The OBM is not removed ...

... when trailering. Per the factory, a 50 hp OBM is the standard with select dealers authorized to install 70 hp motors. It is implied that the factory will not honor the warranty is there is a transom/hull issue and the owner has too large an OBM hanging on the stern. To answer your questions, a 50 HP unit is the standard with quite a few people reporting that they have installed 60, 75 & 90 hp units. I have a 50hp Suzuki on my 26M and no, you do not remove the OBM when you haul the boat around the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.