26M randomly won"t start

Sep 9, 2014
MacGregor 26M Alberta
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 2006 26M, (upon my retirement) and have been sailing her to learn the boat and her ways. I have some big trips planned having followed the likes of Sumner and Chinook vicariously. After 29 yrs of teaching, the boat is appropriately named the "School's Out". I am looking forward to being part of this community.
My boat has an issue where it randomly will not start. The beep sounds but the engine does not turn over. When this first happened, I took it into a shop and they replaced the shift cables to my Mercury 50 fourstroke. It was good for a month but is now doing the same thing again. Yesterday while working on it, I started the engine in my yard, shut off and restarted...several times. Then I moved the shift lever into gear and back and then it would not start.
Is there a neutral lockout switch in the pedestal? Sometimes if I play with the shifter, it eventually starts (when it starts it catches very quickly).
I am convinced it is a small issue if only I could find it.
Thanks for any ideas.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
off topic.. I can’t help with the outboard issue but congratulations on retiring and I think these still trailerable but comfortable to camp in sailboats are just the best "toys" for retirement. You will meet good folks both on the forums and out sailing. FYI, my last day with a sort of regular job is today.. I probably won’t get much accomplished..

Back to your outboard..

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I think you could be on the right track with the shifter/neutral safety switch, depending on the year and options of the motor.... also, if it has the "disable" safety clip, it can also give this same problem...

look for a loose connection at the starter or battery, and also the ground at the battery and where it connects to the engine...

and the small wire on the start solenoid is the one that should get power when you turn the keyswitch to the "start" position.

a google search of that motor and problem should help you find the problem...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
off topic.. -snip- FYI, my last day with a sort of regular job is today.. I probably won’t get much accomplished..
Congratulations!

Start off slow, then taper off. ;)

Sep 9, 2014
MacGregor 26M Alberta
I think you could be on the right track with the shifter/neutral safety switch, depending on the year and options of the motor.... also, if it has the "disable" safety clip, it can also give this same problem...

look for a loose connection at the starter or battery, and also the ground at the battery and where it connects to the engine...

and the small wire on the start solenoid is the one that should get power when you turn the keyswitch to the "start" position.

a google search of that motor and problem should help you find the problem...
Thanks Centerline, I will be troubleshooting on the weekend and will check all those things mentioned. If nothing helps, I'll pull the steering wheel off to get at the control box in the pedestal. I suspect the neutral safety switch is there. If I can get to it, I will be able to check with my continuity tester. Haven't been able to get the steering wheel off so far. I need a specialized puller to get it off the shaft. Then I will be able to take the front off the pedestal and access the innards.

Sep 9, 2014
MacGregor 26M Alberta
Congratulations!

Start off slow, then taper off. ;)
Love the quote! I have been getting a fair bit of razzing suggesting that there's not much difference between me retired and me working. I was just practicing retirement so I would be ready.

Sep 9, 2014
MacGregor 26M Alberta
off topic.. I can’t help with the outboard issue but congratulations on retiring and I think these still trailerable but comfortable to camp in sailboats are just the best "toys" for retirement. You will meet good folks both on the forums and out sailing. FYI, my last day with a sort of regular job is today.. I probably won’t get much accomplished..

Back to your outboard..
Congratulations to you too! I agree about sailing in retirement. I have sailed for years but my wife has not been keen. The Macgregor is the compromise. We are planning to do the great loop in it starting next fall.