26M, 26X, Hunter 260 or Catalina 250???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tavanw

Jun 13, 2004
- - Dana Point
I could use some advice. I'm interested in a trailerable sailboat for mostly day sailing in Southern CA. I've sailed a Catalina 250 a few times in San Diego Harbor. How do the Mac 26's SAIL compared to a Catalina and Hunter? What are the pro's and con's of the Mac's (also X vs. M) other than the obivious cruising benefit the others don't have? Thanks for the feedback. Troy

Jojo

Jun 4, 2004
- - San Francisco, Ca
Where do you want to start...

the comparisons? The Mac is the easiest of the three to trailer. Obviously at 2350 lbs. it is light and it is sold with a trailer. It also sits lower on the trailer. The Hunter 260 is illegally wide to trailer without permits but the dealers will tell you you will PROBABLY never be stopped, although you will be doing at your own risk of being ticketed. The Catalina's beam is 8'6" so it is legal to tow in most states including California. It weighs in at 2400 lbs. The Catalina has a poptop but when popped will have more head room in the cabin 6'4" vs. 5'11" in the Mac. If you intend to use the galley alot, the M has the least useful but it is useable. I have had four on board my Mac M and dined very comfortably. I have read that people have put up to 15hp motors on the Hunter and the Catalina. The Mac X and M are rated to take 50hp easily and have read of people putting 75hp motors on the transom. I have had my Mac at 22kph at 3/4 throttle into the wind. Because of the lightness of all these boats they all have similar traits while sailing. They are all fine as daysailers. The Macs retain more of their value in reselling, at least as far as I can tell from listings. The Mac M has a higher hull speed than all the rest. I have sailed the Mac at well over 12 kph sustained. Apparently which dealer you buy from will make a big difference from all that I have read on the forum. I don't know of the dealers in San Diego but I have talked with Mike at Mike's Yachts in Marina Del Ray and he gave me great information about Macs. He's very sincere and cares about his customers. He is also a close friend of MacGregor. My boat came from Arena Yacht in San Rafael. Fantastic to deal with. Again, they care about their customers and won't steer you wrong. When I was shopping I talked with a couple of Hunter/Catalina dealers and I felt like I was talking with used car salesmen. Who knows, you might find it different. I hope this helps. Good luck.

tavanw

Jun 13, 2004
- - Dana Point
Thanks...

I appreciate your input. I guess I'm most interested in how they sail compared to the other, heavier boats. 12 knots sustained is pretty quick. Does she feel unstable at those speeds? Troy

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Sorry, I'm laughin'

so hard I can hardly type...26X, 12 knots sustained, under sail...ok...

Jun 3, 2004
- - Newport, RI
knots or kph ?

Hmmm. Knots is by definition nautical miles per hour, so you should never see kph meaning "knots per hour". I read the above as kilometers per hour, so I didn't think it was that outlandish: 12 kilometers per hour (kph) = 6.48 knots - Andy26M

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
yup, I missed that

and that makes sense...good call! I was responding to the follow up because I don't read long, unparagraphed posts...delete!

Jojo

Jun 4, 2004
- - San Francisco, Ca
Oh Knots!

Most sorry about that Troy and gentlemen, I do mean knots. And it was very stable. I know it is long but I hadn't seen a response in days to Troy's inquiry so I was just giving as much info to help in a tough decision.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Well, if you are

knots, you should enter that dude in a race...you'll eat the field @ sustained 12 knots...on the other hand, down here on earth...you might have a little more competition.

Feb 14, 2004
- - dog 10
Daysailing?????

Oddly enough when I trailer/daysail I'd rather be in a daysailer. I'd love to try a new Hunter 216. Or a Compac Picknic Cat.. Maybe a Precision 185... Long list... I think I'm getting 2ft ite's in reverse. That's why my X is on this site for sale. I started in a Compac 16 .. wouldn't mind ending in one. Although if you ever want to sleep in it... The Mac is hard to beat for price, trailerbility, and comfort. You really need a sense of humor to sleep in a boat under 17ft.

Jojo

Jun 4, 2004
- - San Francisco, Ca
Lest we digress

from the objective of helping Troy, but yes I couldn't believe it when my helmsman said we were doing 12 either so I checked and sure enough the GPS read 12. We were in high winds and there were 2ft. wind waves/white caps everywhere toward the end but it sure was fun. And no, not the kind of weather most would go out. Troy, 12 knots aside, most people who buy Mac M and Xs do alot of research before purchasing. I've been very happy with my 26M in its handling under power and with sails and the comfort of its cabin. Again, good luck in your decision.

J

Jim Cate

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

JoJo, I'm interested in your report of sailing your 26M at sustained speeds of 12 KNOTS (not KM) per hour, in winds of around 20 mph. Can you provide some pointers or suggestions to those of us who are trying to increase our sailing skills with the 26M? Was this done on a broad reach, run, or upwind, etc., and how were the sails deployed? Any other advice regarding sailing the 26M would be appreciated. Jim

Jun 9, 2004
- - Jordan Lake, NC
Current

The easiest way to achieve 12 knots by GPS is to sail WITH a 6 knot current. Though you are showing 12 knots by GPS, you will only be sailing at 6 knots through the water. I have a 26X and have often sailed at 13 knots on the Neuse river in NC. However, the other direction is a little slower. It's the same concept as "wind speed" with an airplane.

J

Jim Cate

Average

I'm guessing that JoJo isn't so inexperienced that he would make that mistake. And relatively few of us, to my knowledge, often sail in bodies of water having currents of that magnitude. (Sometimes, but not often.) - Of course, a more accurate reading would be one in which the GPS speed is averaged for two legs, sailing in two opposite directions. Or, supplemented with a reading from a "through the water" KM. But in any case, I would be interested in JoJo's further comments regarding the matter. - JoJo, were you sailing in what might have been a significant current tending to increase your GPS reading? Jim

Jojo

Jun 4, 2004
- - San Francisco, Ca
To Jim Cate

Jim, I got to tell you I had no business being out that day. There were small craft adviseries and wind up to 40mph. Gusts to 45. I was struggling to keep out of extremely dangerous situations. I got caught in changes of wind with only the thought that the winds never came up the day before in the afternoon but it sure blew that day. Early on it was five to fifteen. I might have had the tide in my favor, if it was relevent about 2 knots, with the sails full, a major mistake that I was lucky to survive. No mast or boom failures. Turned slightly downwind having my helmsman hold course and I was manning the lines constantly. It was exciting and fun but I don't think I want to be in that again. It was the quickest heeled over at about 20 degrees or so. It was really the kind of weather for fix keel boats if anything. Mostly I was just darned lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.