26D Mast Raising Crutch Height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Last time out - we were raising the Mast "the hard way" - ie, two guys - one pulling a strap on the front - the other (me) lifting... While lifting, the mast started to "twist" and get away from me.. Almost "lost it"... I shoved PRETTY HARD to straighten and get it up OK... but it's time to get that mast raising kit...

I went to buy one - and there does not seem to be one "available" - so based on some other comments here - I think I will build one..

There are great examples of "single pole" mast raising systems on site... I thought to make a "inveted V" type pole. It seems less likely to "twist". Each side of the Inveted V would attach to Stanchions - and the top would have a pulley system attachement. Attach the jib rope to the V top - and crank the pulley side down to the deck...

For mast raising kits now... can anyone relate how long the "crutch" pole is?

(FWIW - I planned to use conduit or fence poles)...

thanks...
--jerry

Oct 6, 2008
Macgregor Venture 25 St Louis, MO
Jerry,
If you look at the thread on Trailering with a Roller Furler, mast raising and systems are discussed a little. This link http://mac22.valentina.googlepages.cm is to a member's web site with great photos of his system. I thinki I'm going to do something like that on my new to me '93 26S.

I trailer my V25 and have been raising the mast myself "the hard way" for years. I consider it the fast way. I have a crutch that supports the aft (the higher the better) and I always park with the vehicle and trailer facing downhill at the launch ramp to get as much height advantage as I can. When I'm ready to raise the mast I just squat down on the aft end of the cabin roof and lift with my legs. The hard part from there is bucking it up on my shoulder. With it resting on my shoulder I simply walk forward. That allows you to keep it under control from side to side. When you are forward to the mast step you just push the last up with arms & legs. At that point the shrouds take over and keep it centered. Then I grab the jib halyard (one end already is attached to the base of the mast) and keep a little tension on it as I go forward to tie it off on the bow pulpit. Then I attach the forestay and that's it. I started doing this after reading it described by an 80+ year old who trailered a 26X many years ago on another forum. I was a little nervous the first time I tried it in the driveway at home. But it went well so I put it down the same way and raised it again 2 or 3 more times in a row and decided it was the way to go. The only time I ever had a problem was a year ago when the 28 year old plastic wisker pole eye on the mast snapped when I pulled the jib halyard tight on the bow pulpit. That made a mess and ended my season. But, I've repaired everything and replaced the wisker pole eye with a heavy duty stainless job. after it happened I looked at the plastic thing I had been relyiing on couldn't believe I never questioned its strength.

I looked at Blue Water Yachts http://www.bwyachts.com/web%20catalog%2031203/convenience%20safety%20storage/mast_raising_kit.htm they list a mast raising kit.

I'm only thinking of going that way on the 26S because it has a furler which my 25 doesn't and because I got the factory system with the boat. But, it needs some work to make it a quick, safe one man operation.

Good Luck,
John

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I trailer my 26S 95% of the time so I have raised the mast MANY times myself.

I use the stock gin pole which came with the boat with a modifiction (dont have a good picture - best I could find is attached). The stock gin pole has a pivot at the bottom just in front of the mast base and a rope/pully arrangment which is clipped between the deck and the end of the gin pole. I have the baby stays on either side of the mast. These keep the mast from falling to the side and I rebuilt them from 1/8 inch ss cable with ss thimbles and copper swags. I put quick connects on the baby stays but probably didnt need to as I never disconnect them - even when the mast is in the normal trailering posiition.

The modification I did was to add a 1/8 inch ss cable to the top of the gin pole which attaches to a bail on the mast about as high up as I can get it standing on the deck. I beleive this is similar to what Macregor is currently selling. I have a quick connect to the mast bail - rated for something like 2000 pounds. The nice thing about this cable between the gin pole and the mast is that once the mast if fully up, I can tighten the rope/pulley arrangement and it keeps the mast fully upright with the main side stays tight. This makes connecting up the front stay a "peice of cake" since your not fighting to keep the mast up at the same time. I use a hank on jib partly because it makes dealing with the front stay easy (as mentioned, I almost always trailer the boat). When the front stay is in place, I uncleat the gin pole rope and disconnect the quick connect and let the gin pole down on the deck - where it stays while Im sailing.

The rope/pulley arrangment on the gin pole goes to the cockpit and I lift the mast (from the cockpit) while pulling the gin pole rope. If something gets cought while raising the mast, I will cleat the gin pole rope and fix the problem. Once the mast is somewhat past 45 degrees, I just pull it the rest of the way using the gin pole rope. The baby stays keep it from falling side to side.

It really is a peice of cake to raise and lower the mast on this boat by myself.

The other nice thing about the gin pole on this boat is that you can just leave it on the boat always. I also like this for extended day trips to for example Lake Powell. If I had a halyard slip out of the upper pulleys, I can easilly drop the mast no matter where Im at (I also leave the mast crutch in place just for this reason).

Attachments

Last edited:

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
Crutch Height

My experiances with the mast raising system are pretty much identicle to Walt's. I always leave it in place and it has come in handy on our last two trips to Yellowstone Lake. We put in at Bridge Bay Marina. To get out of the bay one must pass under a bridge that is about 15 or 20 ft above water level.
I am not sure exactly how high my mast crutch is, but it should be higher. If I ever replace it I will make sure that it is high enough to be able to raise the pop top all the way up when the mast is in the crutch.

Aug 27, 2006
C&C 29 MK-1 Mandeville (Lake Pontchartrain), LA
Jerry,
You mentioned that the mast twisted out to the side on you. The first time I raised my 26S's mast, it did too, until I remembered baby stays! Now I always remember to tie baby stays from mid-mast to the eye straps on the deck to keep it moving up or down centered.

Kevin

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
baby stays...

we had them UNHOOKED - since we had "tightened" previously.... We know to DEFINITELY hook them up next time - but leave a bit of slack.

still.... if one of the baby stays "gives" while lifting... I still like the inverted V approach..

Perhaps like a lot of times... Leave some slack in the Baby Stays - and build the V over winter... (a compromise)..

I can DEFINITELY say that it is a GOOD IDEA to leave the baby stays hooked up.... :>

--jerry

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I trust the system I have (mostly - I dont raise the mast until the area is clear of kids, ect) after using a bunch but one thing to check with the baby stays and the deck cleat is how well they are held to the fiberglass deck. Ie, are they bolted on with metal backing plates on the other side of the figerglass. Inside the cabin, there should be the round plastic pop outs so you can inspect. And if your lucky, you will ony destroy about 1/3 of the plastic pop outs trying to remove them (I understand you can get more from the Mac dealer in Seatle).

My baby stays let the mast fall over to one side a little bit as the mast is raised. I had to do this because there is one spot where both get tight but it is only at one spot - maybe about when the mast is at 30 degrees from horizontal?

Feb 8, 2008
Ericson E27 Chicago
Hey, All.
Seems like this topic will never go away :O)
John V25 already mentioned my little page with bunch of pix on my mast raising system.
http://mac22.valentina.googlepages.com (just in case once again)

Regarding the mast crutch height...The higher it is- the easier would be to pull the mast up, but there are 2 issues - ONE- if it's too long, it would be hard for you to reach if something gets tangled up. TWO - again if it slopes too much, it would be hard for you to put that mast bolt into the tabernacle.
Some people I saw use the crutch to keep the mast during trailering.
My mast crutch is too high for that. (By the way, check out the V blocks that I use to secure the mast while trailering - works very well.
One more thing on a crutch. If you end up making one - make it so there are no places on it that can ketch on the shrouds(or anything at all) while you raise your mast.
I didn't think of it when I made mine and have shrouds ketch on the mounting bracket of the roller all the time.

Will be raising my mast today - dressing the boat up for HALLOWEEN....BOO...
My little one and I will be pirates, popping out of the hatch , blowing some fog and strobe a flash as kids approach :) - should be loads of fun.
Cheers,
A

Status
Not open for further replies.