26C, S, D... what's the difference?

garza

Mar 15, 2011
Macgregor 26 s Tongoy, Chile
Ideal fret of macgregor 26 s

Hi , i would like to know which is the correct measure in which the luff must be placed, centimeters under the hull.

Thanks

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
Hi , i would like to know which is the correct measure in which the luff must be placed, centimeters under the hull.

Thanks
You are better off posting this request under a new thread in the Macgregor forum, or checking into the specifications section of the site for your boat.
Most people will probably not see your post here where you've placed it.

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
I own both a 96X and a 89D and love both for their different strong points. Under sail I have made 8.1 kts and broke a rudder in the D. With the X running downwind, wing on wing in a gust did 7.2 kts and broached. I have the original foam blocks in place and I believe both are unsinkable and safe. Racing and strictly sailing, the D works fine. Motor-sailing and long distance trips with the Admiral, the X does a great job.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hi all. I found a site that helped me when I was researching what type of trailer sailer was best for me. www.sailboatdata.com It has almost every boat you can find. Good luck.

Don T

Mar 27, 2012
MacGregor 26X PDX
When I went to the Portland Boat show in 1995 they had both 26 and 2600 model boats for sale. The 2600 (which later became 26X) was not actually available until May. We pre-ordered in feb and picked up hull # 64 on May 23rd.

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
macgregor 26s Canyon lake
I bought a 1991 26 back in 1991 and sailed it steady for 10 years. worked for the dealer rigging them up and we went to california to pick some up and bring the back. met Macgregor had him and his wife come out to lake Amistad for a sail boat comparison for sail magazine. and I did not know I had a Classic "S" untill I joined this forum about 3 days ago. This is very invormative. Thanks a lot.
I still have my 26 but is has been 5 years since it has been on the water but I am going to change that soon Life is too short to leave your sailboat in storage!!!!!!!!

Nov 12, 2012
Depends on what you are looking for. I have a 26M and it's a good Weekend boat. Not to fast, the Club called it a Slug and a TupperWear boat. But it is comfortable and plenty of room for me and my better half? For racing I'd get a 26S! I had the opportunity to be the PRO of the Committee Boat for the Wurstfest 2012 at Lake Canyon this past weekend and witnessed the performance of a Mac 26 S. It was notihing short of outstanding. It won all 6 regattas in the PHRF B race. The comment after the final race was "she will be in port and loaded on her trailer before the second place crosses the finish line!" You might think that there was only a few weekend sailors in the race, but you would wrong. There were 16 different Yacht Clubs participating and over 80 boats. Many had full time racing crews. We ran a windward leeward course of 4 legs of about 2.6 NM and the Mac finished about 5 minutes ahead of second place!

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
macgregor 26s Canyon lake
I was told once that a "D" could out point a "S" due to the dagger board but I do not know this for a fact.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Depends on what you are looking for. I have a 26M and it's a good Weekend boat. Not to fast, the Club called it a Slug and a TupperWear boat. But it is comfortable and plenty of room for me and my better half? For racing I'd get a 26S! I had the opportunity to be the PRO of the Committee Boat for the Wurstfest 2012 at Lake Canyon this past weekend and witnessed the performance of a Mac 26 S. It was notihing short of outstanding. It won all 6 regattas in the PHRF B race. The comment after the final race was "she will be in port and loaded on her trailer before the second place crosses the finish line!" You might think that there was only a few weekend sailors in the race, but you would wrong. There were 16 different Yacht Clubs participating and over 80 boats. Many had full time racing crews. We ran a windward leeward course of 4 legs of about 2.6 NM and the Mac finished about 5 minutes ahead of second place!
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the boat's name was Wings.....

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=5695&show_crew=1

...... Do you have any more info on the boat and where it is out of? Not sure the owner has posted on one of the Mac boards or not. Looks like a great performance,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I was told once that a "D" could out point a "S" due to the dagger board but I do not know this for a fact.
The D has a slightly lower PHRF rating on one site of about 6 sec. per mile vs the S. I think that 6 seconds could easily go away depending on the skippers, condition of sails, bottom condition, etc. They are both fast boats in the 26 foot range.

I don't think it is in the pointing that is an advantage but in a slight difference in speed. The trunk for the swing keel creates a little more bottom drag vs no large trunk for the D.

For us the better choice was the S as we are more interested in going to places with possibly shallow water,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
What do you mean you broached what exactly happened running down wind would you mind explaining.
I forgot to mention I was sailing without ballast, though ballasted boats also broach. As mentioned I was sailing wing on wing, main and genoa out. A microburst came from behind and boat began to increase in speed. Felt like it began to plane and lift up onto the water. The boat begain to roll, so that one sail would be more powered than the other, steering by wheel became light and ineffective. Boat turned on it's own sharply to port and went over hard on starboard side. The only thing keeping me in was holding onto the steering wheel. Popped back up and was rolled over on port side, but not as hard. My GPS said 7.1 knts as I went over. The X boat rarely goes this fast under sail at least that's my experience.

As I have said many times don't sail without ballast unless you are by yourself and understand your conditions and abilities well.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
As I have said many times don't sail without ballast unless you are by yourself and understand your conditions and abilities well.
Even then I wouldn't do it. There's a balance designed into every sailboat that shouldn't be violated YMMV

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Are the models and production years listed anywhere - I can't seem to find them. :confused:

Can someone please let me know what the different letters for the 26s mean. I have a 26d. I know that means "daggerboard". What about the x, s, m etc?
MM