26C, S, D... what's the difference?

Dec 31, 2007
Macgregor 26 d Edgewater CO
Can someone please let me know what the different letters for the 26s mean. I have a 26d. I know that means "daggerboard". What about the x, s, m etc?
MM

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We really need a sticky on this question.

Both of these are C models, meaning "classic"
D = daggerboard
S = swingkeel

The X and M are powersailers - large engines for motoring. The M is the successor to the X

Jim J

Oct 10, 2008
Macgregor 1994 S St Cloud, MN
Another question

We really need a sticky on this question.

Both of these are C models, meaning "classic"
D = daggerboard
S = swingkeel

The X and M are powersailers - large engines for motoring. The M is the successor to the X
Justin, I've been wondering about this for awhile and this seems like the appropriate time to ask.

This past summer I bought a 1994 MacGregor. Because of the light weight of, what I call a centerboard, compared to the older Ventures with iron swingkeels, I've been wanting to ask someone if we are talking about the same thing or were there some classics built with the heavier centerboard or swing keel or whatever it's called. Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Others may jump in and explain this better. The C, S, D, X and M designations only apply to the 26' Macs. There's one exception and that is the 19M. I'll throw another curve that further isolates these from the rest of the Mac line, they are all water ballast.
The older, smaller Macs and Ventures are not water ballast. They have the iron keels which are lowered into the water. Some will say that they are more stable because the center of buoyancy further away from the center of gravity. Theoretically I would tend to agree but I'm comfortable with my 26S

May 20, 2007
Macgregor 26X Maryland
Justin - I never heard of a 19M, though I taught myself to sail during the last 18 months in a MacGregor 19 ...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin - I never heard of a 19M, though I taught myself to sail during the last 18 months in a MacGregor 19 ...
You are right. The 19 doesn't have an alpha suffix. I was trying to describe how the 19 fit into the lineage as a small water ballast powersailor as opposed to the rest of the pre-26' leaded keel models. Sorry for the confusion.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
as opposed to the rest of the pre-26' leaded keel models. Sorry for the confusion.
I think all M26's are water ballasted, ergo, no leaded keel models. Iron keels were discontinued in favor of water ballasted boats after the M25 run.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Someone else posted this a couple of years ago. I thought it was the best explanation I'd seen of the various M26's so I saved it.

Prior to the 26X hybrid power sailer, MacGregor's 26' model was just called the 26. (Note: This was the first production water ballasted sailboat [1987].) Although during the first 2 to 3 years of production the 26 had a dagger board and the last 5 to 6 years it had a centerboard, the hull designation (HIN letter) for both versions of this model was "W" (for water ballasted?). (Note that MacGregor oftened introduced both minor and major modifications during a model year.) To distinguish between the dagger and centerboard versions people unofficially referred to them as 26D (dagger) and 26S (swing keel). Despite the center board vs dagger, they are otherwise the same boat and sail virtually the same.

[Side note on the swing keel - The 26 never has a true "swing keel" like the 25 with its 625# weight which provided sgnificant righting force.]

In 1995 (model year?) MacGregor introduced the 26X (X for experimental even though the 19 released a year or 2 earlier was the actual "experimantal" hybid.) The 26X was a radical depature from what many "purist" sailors considered a "sailboat". It could be powered by a 50HP outboard to over 20MPH. This freaked many who have no problem attaching their "pure" sailboat to the back of a land motor vehicle to accomplish the same ends: quicker access to the good sailing spots! Once the 26X came out, the older MacGregor 26S and 26D (which were limited to being ONLY sailboats) were sometimes referred to as "classics" therefore the 26C. A 26C is either a 26D or 26S but will always have a HIN designation of "W". The HIN of the 26X is "X".

While the 26X had a swing-up centerboard like the 26S, in or about 2003 MacGregor released the 26M (never could figure out why the "M"). The 26M was a throw back to the 26D with a dagger board which was good. They got rid of the fiberglass hull liner which had been great for mounting things and reducing dampness in the cabin which was bad but saved a few pounds. They pushed the head back to the front where it had no head room and blocked the view out the from of the cabin which was bad. They increased the rear bunk size at the expense of the cockpit which was bad too.

The interior of the 26M was changed in 2004/2005 back to the 30 year old layout of the 25.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
The S and D models have way less windage than the x or m, at the cost of interior room, but to the benefit of actual sailing. Many critics of Macgregor sailboats are unaware of the many models of fine sailboats manufactured before the advent of the "motorized" versions, and lump all of the waterballasted hulls together.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nope, just the M. I don't know what drove Roger's business decision. Did sales drop off for the "classic" boats or was it more profitable to fill the motorsailor niche? Maybe there will be a "retro" boat someday like the big 3 are doing in the automotive arena.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
If Macgregor really wanted to make the classic design again, and the molds have been destroyed, would they be able to make new molds from an existing boat?

O

oreana1234

new/old classic

I guess another way to put it would be: would the general public purchase a classic d or s in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile. I'd sure like to give some input to their design staff, even the x and m have major design flaws that could be simply changed.

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Does anybody know the differences in each year and models for the Macgregors? I am a bit confused. I have seen 1995 26X boats advertised. I have seen 1996 26S boats advertised. Did they make both models at the same time? I thought 1995's were all S's and 1996 were all X's? How much over lapping of models was there?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Does anybody know the differences in each year and models for the Macgregors? I am a bit confused. I have seen 1995 26X boats advertised. I have seen 1996 26S boats advertised. Did they make both models at the same time? I thought 1995's were all S's and 1996 were all X's? How much over lapping of models was there?
I'm not sure if they made both at the same time, but doubt that due to the size of the facility. What might be going on is when they were originally titled or like in the old days when the next year's cars came out in September of the prior year.

Somewhere and it might be in the links I have below I thought there was a listing of the exact cutoff dates.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I agree with you that in some of the adds the picture and the discription don't match.

I don't know if the people just don't know or are trying to scam someone.