26C, S, D... what's the difference?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Literally means "Your mileage may vary" but is often used in forum talk meaning that your results will vary
Ahh! I had to look it up in Urban Dictionary. Shows you how "hip" I am.

Right now I'm guessing my use of the word "hip" is also a clear demonstration.;)

Nov 12, 2012
Sumner said:
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the boat's name was Wings.....

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=5695&show_crew=1

...... Do you have any more info on the boat and where it is out of? Not sure the owner has posted on one of the Mac boards or not. Looks like a great performance,

Sum

============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
You are right!!! It was Wings.... Great boat as well as Sipper and Crew.

Don T

Mar 27, 2012
MacGregor 26X PDX
Hello,
When I went to the Portland Boat show in January of 1995 you could buy a 26S or "pre-order" a 2600 (which became 26X). I opted to schedule a test sail of the 2600 in February and placed my order at that time. I took delivery the 3rd week of May, got married on it in July and honeymooned for 2 weeks in the San Juan Islands. Man that was a great year!:dance:

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the boat's name was Wings.....

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=5695&show_crew=1

...... Do you have any more info on the boat and where it is out of? Not sure the owner has posted on one of the Mac boards or not. Looks like a great performance,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
It's actaully a "26D" Sumner. Here is your answer.
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/member.php?u=116273

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
It's actaully a "26D" Sumner. Here is your answer.
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/member.php?u=116273
Yep, I knew that a while back. The OP that mentioned it first...

.. For racing I'd get a 26S! I had the opportunity to be the PRO of the Committee Boat for the Wurstfest 2012 at Lake Canyon this past weekend and witnessed the performance of a Mac 26 S. It was notihing short of outstanding. It won all 6 regattas in the PHRF B race. ..
...made the comment that it was a S. Later the owner posted on another board that it was a D. I never came back here and corrected the original post and my post. Sorry,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

sunman

Jul 29, 2009
Mac Mac 26D Suwannee
Ya all think this this is alphabet soup!,
get a Harley,
U'll need a Rosetta stone :)

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
I think this applies here? whats the deal with cockpit coamings vs rails? my 1989 26D has stainless rails on the side of the cockpit... I have seen other boats advertised as same year and model with the higher fiberglass coamings, and some that were supposedly 1990 models that still had the rails. seems to be very few that have these rails

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I'd guess the rails were either a factory option or put on by a dealer or owner. The higher coaming I believe was later in the year and then continued into the S model line. They probably did the change over from the D to the S in a couple steps to possibly not disrupt production so much.

First the D as it had been for a few years with the low coaming and dagger board, then the D with the high coamings, still with the dagger board and then the S with the high coamings and the switch from the dagger board to the swing keel. Just my guesses,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I think this applies here? whats the deal with cockpit coamings vs rails? my 1989 26D has stainless rails on the side of the cockpit... I have seen other boats advertised as same year and model with the higher fiberglass coamings, and some that were supposedly 1990 models that still had the rails. seems to be very few that have these rails

my guess is you have an early 1989 model.

the factory was not so diligent on changing boats based on a calendar year. they just did things on their schedule.

most 89d's do have higher comings and no ss rails.

-do you have floatation above the V berth ? or below? (my guess is below, like the rest of the early D's)

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I wish my S had the floatation below. That "box" takes a lot of space from the V berth. Just makes it harder to climb in and be comfortable.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I wish my S had the floatation below. That "box" takes a lot of space from the V berth. Just makes it harder to climb in and be comfortable.
I'd sure hate to give up...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-16-a.html
... all the storage below the V-berth. I have 24 gallons of water there, another anchor chain, food, cloths, laptop and more stored under there on a trip.
Since I lengthened....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-5.html
.... the bed area and added storage around it my legs aren't so far down now so I don't hit the dropped cabin top where the insulation is (above last arrow),

Sumner
========================================

1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
This just goes to show that not everyone likes the same things. I prefer sleeping in the large berth under the cockpit and using the V-berth for storage. I do wish our 26d had the higher combings but the SS railing does give a place to mount the back cushions that my wife made for the cockpit (haven't had a chance to use them yet).

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
This just goes to show that not everyone likes the same things. I prefer sleeping in the large berth under the cockpit and using the V-berth for storage. I do wish our 26d had the higher combings but the SS railing does give a place to mount the back cushions that my wife made for the cockpit (haven't had a chance to use them yet).
Yep, lots of people prefer the rear berth and I would of also if I wouldn't of made the V'berth longer but I'd also hate to give up the ventilation that you get in the V-berth with the hatch there and I can store a lot more in the rear berth on a trip. Still it just comes down to personal preference as you mentioned ;)

Sumner

====================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I like the 26C rear berth myself. In the last few years of owning a 26S, I have been a little more focused on making the boat a better sailboat. These boats are light weight with rigs to match so keeping them overall light makes them faster, The weight distribution also likely has some influence and the models I go by for weight distribution are:

Model 1. CG should be in the middle of the boat for least horizontal acceleration of mass due to waves

Model 2. CG should be near the widest point of the boat. The ballast has its longest moment arm with the boats center of buoyancy when heeled at this point - giving the best bang of righting moment per weight

Model 3. When the hull moves through the water, it generates lift - even a displacement hull and if this lift is generated efficiently, it reduces drag of the hull. An efficient air foil shape creates its maximum lift in the forward part of the foil. The best place for the boats CG is near this most efficient place for the hull to generate lift.

Model 4. You want a smooth release of water from the aft end of the boat and maximum water line length so the transition from the bottom of the boat to the horizontal transom should be just above water line.

For performance, all of the above point to placing weight near the center of the boat or slightly forward. Beds tend to be "light and fluffy" so for a light weight boat like the 26 classics, are best to the rear and heavier stuff placed in the center of the boat or slightly forward. The rear berth of the 26S is best for weight distribution if the bed is kept relatively light weight (easy to do). .

And.. one thing that may really not be important except for piece of mind.. On these ungrounded mast boats, if lightning strikes the mast, it will 100% of the time arc from the bottom of the mast to the nearest water surface. Be careful about putting your head right under the bottom of the mast if you intend to sleep on the boat in an area where you may get lightning activity.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Y'all aware that you are responding to an 8 year-old thread?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Besides, if we quit posting here it might get less sticky. I find Bazooka bubble gum to be a good sticky.