260 Autopilot via Emergency Steering Bracket?

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I'm often finding myself sailing solo and trying to multitask, hoist sails, install fenders etc. My boat is a Hunter 260 with wheel but wondering if its possible to install a tiller mounted autopilot such as the (Raymarine ST1000 Plus Tiller Pilot) via the emergency steering bracket? I used the emergency tiler once in string winds and found it difficult to manage but I was also fighting the steering cable that had jumped off the roller.

Wondering if anyone has had any success in this?

Thanks in advance.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm often finding myself sailing solo and trying to multitask, hoist sails, install fenders etc. My boat is a Hunter 260 with wheel but wondering if its possible to install a tiller mounted autopilot such as the (Raymarine ST1000 Plus Tiller Pilot) via the emergency steering bracket? I used the emergency tiler once in string winds and found it difficult to manage but I was also fighting the steering cable that had jumped off the roller.
Wondering if anyone has had any success in this?
Thanks in advance.
I haven't tried this and have not heard of anyone else trying it but here are some things to consider:
Try using your emergency tiller again to see if it is easier to use when your steering system is in working order.
Is the emergency tiller long enough to meet the critical dimensions shown in the screen shot below form the ST1000 and ST2000 Manul?
If you proceed with this idea consider the ST2000 TP. It has 170 lbs of torque vs the 125 lbs of torque of the ST1000.
Consider the ease of removing the emergency tiller and tiller pilot when you want to take over steering in an emergency.

I've read of others who need to step away from the wheel for short periods of time using a bungie cord or wheel brake to hold the wheel.
Maybe try that while saving up for a true wheel pilot. You'll most likely be much happier with it.

Image 9-21-23 at 6.58 AM.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Before we had an autopilot I'd use the wheel lock. It worked well.. Would hold the base course long enough to accomplish the task at hand ...