26 Classic cockpit seat mod

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I am looking for a place to hid the fuel tank out of the way. I know some use the laz and vent but I would rather not go that route. I want to keep as many fumes out of the cabin as possible. I saw a mod by Centerline where he added storage under the cockpit seat on a Mac 25. He built an insert out of aluminum to house the fuel tanks. I have 1/8 stainless sheets I could build a version out of. I assume the seats on a 26D have foam for floatation. My V berth already has had the foam removed. So I am ok with removing more foam as I am coming up with an idea to add some flotation back anyways. What are your thoughts?

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I made a small seat/holder. It has three drink holders and a radio holder for the hand held radio. It will cover 3 gallon or 6 gallon tank. There is a groove in the back for the fuel line to go over the stern.
I store the tank on the bottom of the boat in the main cockpit when I am not onboard.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I definitely hear you on wanting to keep fuel odors out of the cabin when storing fuel in the lazarette. My solution was to seal the openings between the lazarette and cabin and ventilate the lazarette. I can provide more detail if you are interested.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I definitely hear you on wanting to keep fuel odors out of the cabin when storing fuel in the lazarette. My solution was to seal the openings between the lazarette and cabin and ventilate the lazarette. I can provide more detail if you are interested.
Any info to help me make a decision would be great!

Apr 11, 2020
I started by identifying the places where there were gaps between the lazarette and the cabin. In my case, it was at the top of the dividing wall and at both coamings. I cut cardboard templates to fit the irregular gaps at the coamings and transferred those profiles to 1/4" Corplast (available from your local sign shop). I secured those using the aluminum tape often used for sealing AC ductwork. I used that same type of tape to close the gap at the top of the dividing wall. Also, I installed locker vents from BWC.

I had to reapply some of the tape this winter. At some future point I might explore installing some expanding foam.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Good to know. I’ll take a look at mine and identify the areas needed to be closed. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2020
A bit of a disclaimer. My size and stature (145 lbs, 5'6") gave me an advantage. Just sayin'.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I have a motor mount that moves the motor back and leaves room for the fuel tank. A wood support keeps the tank level. The bonus is with the motor moved back gives me a better turning radius.
20210725_165836.jpg

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I have the same type motor mount. I thought this may be an option but I didn’t know if the 6 gal tank would fit.