250 steering and marine head

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Powell

I am in the process of buying a 1997 model 250. Has anyone changed this model from a tiller to a wheel? Also, has anyone changed from the porti potti to a marine head? I am interested in the costs and how long the boat was out of service. I will have to hire someone to do the work if I decide to do it. What did you think of the results. Good idea? Bad idea?

D

DANNY HAIN

Kits Available

John, I bought my 96 about six months ago it already had the marine head and pedestal steering.I love both options! I don't know how practical cost wise it would be to have the work done now you may want to look around a bit more before you buy.If you do have your heart set on this particular boat I think Edson Marine makes a kit for your boat. Good Luck Danny Hain "Salty Paws"

J

Jim Riley

Wheel

We are having a sever wheather helm problem with our 96 Catalina 250 water ballast boat. We have been told that switcing to a tiller may help. We currently have wheel steering. There are some handling characteristics in moderate wind conditions that make this boat hard to control. Does anyone have any fixes? Jim

M

Mark Melchior

Marine head

Visit the Catalina 25/250 National Assn. site at www.catalina25-250.org. One of the tech tips shows the installation of a marine head (in lieu of the porta pottie). This tip is located at http://www.best.com/~c25c250/restricted/jadehead.html I've been told to expect to spend no less than $500 for the marine head setup if you are doing the work yourself. I own a 1999 C250wb w/the Edson wheel steering option. I love it. But, it was an expensive option (about $1700). As was said before, Edson does offer a kit. Youmight have to get some additional hardware from Catalina to attach the wheel steering kit to your rudder. Unless you are a handy do-it-yourselfer, I wouldn't spend the money or effort to make the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.