240 Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2011
oday 240 Glen Cove
I'm interested in buying a 240, but it does not have a trailer. The boat will be launched if I buy it, but I am concerned that if I buy a trailer separate from the boat and the boat and trailer don't fit once I try to get the boat onto the trailer at the end of the season (the boat will be on a mooring for the season), then I will have problems I don't want to deal with at a time when there is not a lot of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mitch

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'm interested in buying a 240, but it does not have a trailer. The boat will be launched if I buy it, but I am concerned that if I buy a trailer separate from the boat and the boat and trailer don't fit once I try to get the boat onto the trailer at the end of the season (the boat will be on a mooring for the season), then I will have problems I don't want to deal with at a time when there is not a lot of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mitch
As I remember back in the 1980s while walking in a giant warehouse where the O'Day dealer had these boats in stock, the 240s were sitting on the same type of trailers as the O'Day 222s. These trailers were Load-Rite roller trailers with a two wheel single axle that was set up for the weight of the O'Day 240. I don't remember whether the trailer had keel rollers like mine but I do remember that the 240 had a wing keel.
With that said though, I would buy a tandem bunk trailer that will support the weight of your boat and get the next size up that would fit a longer boat. You may be able to buy about ten 24" adjustable extension brackets to support your bunks. For the trailer's keel support, all you would need is a couple of pressure treated planks sandwich together and clamped to the cross members of your trailer frame. You shouldn't have to drill holes in the cross members for these planks. The reason why I mention a longer trailer is so you won't need an extension tongue for your trailer to float your boat on and off it at the ramp. My boat is an O'Day 222 and it weighs about 2200 lbs. Trinkka 21' 9" long. My trailer is good for a 23' boat and the weight capacity is 4600 lbs.
I would go to a large trailer dealer and tell them what you have. They have all the specs on your boat in their PC. Even if you don't buy off the guy, you'll have a pretty good idea of the carrying capacity needed, the length of the trailer, and the type of extension brackets and lengths. Check through the threads on this site. I posted a lot of pics of my Long Mfg Trailer along with info about the brackets and trailer set up.
Joe

Feb 23, 2010
Oday 240 Bronte, ON
I bought my O'Day 240 in similar circumstances. I had a trailer made for it by The Marine Cradle Shop in Toronto. They knew the specs required for the boat. I suspect that anyone building custom trailers would have access to the same information. If you have a trailer that you want to retrofit I will be happy to provide you with any measurements or photographs that you require.

Cheers

david

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Mitch,
I forgot to mention the trailer guides in my reply. These guides are designed to keep the boat centered on the trailer when your floating it on at the ramp. They are nothing more than square stock 1- 1/2" X 4.5' galvy tubing that is "L" shaped with a length of PVC tubing over each one to prevent marring the boat's finish. They attach to the back of the trailer and are adjustable for the width of the boat at it's widest point.

There are a couple routes you can take in setting a trailer up for your boat. You could go to a company and have them do it for you, or you could by a large tandem powerboat trailer and add long extension brackets to the bunks to get the height needed for the keel. You could also buy some sailboat stand poppets and have a welder install them on the trailer instead of the bunks. I know a guy who bought a new EZ-Loader tandem powerboat trailer for his O'Day 25 and had four adjustable stand poppets welded to the trailer. I've seen some factory trailers built this way and it can come in pretty handy at times for doing bottom painting. Good luck!
Joe

Attachments

May 12, 2008
Santana 525 Bristol, PA Delaware River
Hi Mitch - Or you could by my Oday 240 with the custom made trailer that is 2 1/2 years old. I went through this very same issue when I made the mistake of buying my Oday 240 without a trailer. I had it in the water in May and searched all summer for a trailer with no luck. They are like gold. Which is why I ended up just buying a new custom made trailer. It is the nicest piece of equipment in our boat yard for sure. I would not buy a boat like this again without a trailer. Which is why I wont part with the trailer until the boat sells despite the many offers. It has all the features mentioned in the other posts, dual axel (7000 lbs. rated), tounge extension, extra 3 or 4 feet of length, adjustable float off bunks, and boat guides. Here are all the pictures again: Here is the link for pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/the.4allens?feat=email
Boat and trailer for sale: jpallen01@yahoo.com for questions. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.