240 HIN indentation number location?

May 1, 2021
Hunter 240 Southampton
hi all, just purchased a 240 :)

I'm struggling to find a hull number. I saw (in the manual I think) it should be on the starboard transom but I can't see it.

can anyone advise where it should be located exactly?

no doubt the first of many questions on the new journey!! thanks in advance!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 240!!

Starboard transom is where it should be. Does your registration or boat OR purchase agreement show it?

May 1, 2021
Hunter 240 Southampton
Thank you! very happy to be here :D

that's a bit of a head scratcher then...
just to check i'm not being stupid... how do they mark the hull? it it embossed or a plate?
can't see either!

unfortunately don't have original Doc's.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... how do they mark the hull? it it embossed or a plate?
USUALLY embossed into the gel coat. If there WAS a number, it should also be in another place on the boat. Like on a stringr under the floorboards. Mine's on a stringer at the bottom, under the front of the engine cover.

May 1, 2021
Hunter 240 Southampton
thanks for the reply there aren't any floorboard as it's all moulded in the H240 but I will have a closer inspection.

I would have thought that it would have been more obvious than it appears to be on mine

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
When there isn’t a traditional transom, the HIN is on the starboard aft hull topsides. That’s where it is on my H26.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
On our 260 it’s just under the starboard rub rail as it starts to turn down towards the stern. Embossed in the gel coat - easiest to find when looking for it on the trailer.

May 1, 2021
Hunter 240 Southampton
awesome thanks everyone! it's easy to find when you know where to look!

Now I have the number how do I find out the history of the boat? when it was manufactured etc?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The HIN will tell you the date is was made and the manufacturer.