240 broken mainsheet block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
The lower mainsheet block on my 240 failed yesterday during a great sail- it is a Schaefer 504-51 fiddle with cam cleat and snap shackle. The swivel/clevis pin that holds the snap shackle on the fiddle broke. Not sure how this happened- winds were 10-15, so not extreme force. May have gotten caught on the U-bolt attachment and pulled laterally- that has happened before during tacks.
Anyway, can this pin be replaced? I've got the head piece out of the fiddle block, but the other end in the snap shackle seems to be held in with a small press-fit roll/spring pin. Can't tell if this end is threaded or not. What's the best way to fix this, or do I have to buy a whole new fiddle block?
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Caverun,

You could contact Schaefer Marine and speak with Joy, she should be able to help you.

All U Get

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Need a picture.. but if I understand, it could be driven out with a punch then replaced by an appropriately sized stainless shouldered bolt, a bolt that does not have threads under the loaded side plate; only threaded at the very end for the locking retaining nut.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the help- photo added to original post. Pin does appear to be threaded, with a roll pin in the snap shackle. I will contact Schaefer for repair advice.

Feb 18, 2011
Heard back from Joy at Schaefer. It can be repaired if I send it back to them- no parts are available. Estimate is $50-60. New block is $180.
I'm now thinking of using a standard pin in the block and attaching a jaw snap shackle. That would allow 360 swivel rather than the 180 rotation of the original, and might prevent a recurrence. Any problem with this assuming I use parts suited for the load?

Status
Not open for further replies.