24 AWG Wire

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I usually strip with a razor blade or finger nail then solder and heatshrink. 24 is basically the same guage as cat5 cabling. If you dont care about "marine grade" you can certainly look into connectors for phone and data. The connector below is very easy to use (doesnt even require stripping) and comes filled with a gel to keep out water an moisture

1587855379900.png

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Try this tool

[QUOTE from="Red_Dog, post: 1626550, member: 143282"]
I do not like radio/navigation device manufacturers.
Has anyone found first, a stripping/crimping tool for 24 AWG wire? How about butt connectors and ring terminals? I'm currently soldering all my 24 AWG connections, except for ring terminals, I double strip the wire - using a razor knife - and crimp with a 22-18 ring terminal.
If any one has way better, I'm all ears.
[/QUOTE]

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Radio Shack
:biggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
RadioShack , filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection In February 2015.
You now have to go on-that-line thing to buy stuff.:kick:
I wish to hey were still around, I used to shop there all the time. Must have been their only customer, hardly ever saw anyone else in there.

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
Apologizes, I haven't logged in for a while, been trying to get the boat ready. (Yeah, Ohio considers Marinas and boat repair as essential business.)

First, I started this thread really as a vent and rant, nothing more. However, some of the feedback is very helpful.

The problem is not the wiring on the boat necessarily, its the wire gauge of the accessories...
Yes Doug, you got that one right! It is the accessories that do it to you. In my refrigerator/circuit panel project, I've used nothing less less than #14 marine grade wire (some few exceptions in panel jumpers. It also very supersizing how much of the OEM wiring is not marine grade!).

Here's the kicker, the Vesper XB-8000 AIS and their antenna spliter HAVE power connections of 24 AWG wires. WTF!

I doubled striped the wires, folded them back on themselves, soldered them and crimped them into a #22-#18 ring terminal. I'm praying though that the connections are good.

These work without stripping the wire. 3M Scotchloks, is my love so wrong? - Panbo
I'm going to keep these in mind. Reading Panbo, apparently, some of these are marine grade. Back of the mind kinda thing.

You have been a wonderful audience, may your skies be blue and your winds be fair. Thank you,
Alec

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If soldering wires of that size I highly recommend heatshrink and when possible, zip ties to prevent breakage due to movement and vibration

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Sorry, this probably was a lapse in judgment for an application on a recreational boat, did not think this through carefully, my bad!!!

In 1998 I took over a company that manufactured mil-spec computers (ROLM Mil-Spec Computers). These nuclear hardened computers launched nuclear warhead missiles such as Trident, Peace Keeper, Tomahawk, and were rated from -40-105deg.c. Solder sleeves were used ubiquitously. The problem with using them on a boat for any critical wiring is using the proper technique for installing them. They are tricky to use!!!
high temperature Teflon coated wire should to be used (which you don't find on boats) and the use of the correct heat gun w/proper tip so that it heats the device to the correct temperature uniformly.
Raychem makes them, but I would not necessarily recommend using them unless the above conditions can be properly met. Other than that they are a very good way to splice wires.