23.5 unsinkable???

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Several years ago, a friend and I tried to sink a 25' sailboat hull. Dang thing would not go down. Friend then climbed aboard the now sticking up straight bow, reached in the blown out bow, (we blew it open with a shotgun), (no need to ask but, yes, alcohol was involved), and pulled a bunch of foam and a couple of pfds out. Not a whole bunch but enough to cause it to not sink. Doesn't take much closed cell foam to float a boat.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Several years ago, a friend and I tried to sink a 25' sailboat hull. Dang thing would not go down. Friend then climbed aboard the now sticking up straight bow, reached in the blown out bow, (we blew it open with a shotgun), (no need to ask but, yes, alcohol was involved), and pulled a bunch of foam and a couple of pfds out. Not a whole bunch but enough to cause it to not sink. Doesn't take much closed cell foam to float a boat.
Hopefully you had a smoke as it went down to complete the Southern trinity of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@massnspace

I am a retired sailboat who gave the original plans for the 23.5 to Hunter Marine. I was involved with that design, introduced the boat, sold appx 25% of the production line, advised on repairs to Hunter and now take time helping many with their sailboats based on knowledge and experience. My apology that I am not an engineer but mainly earned a BS degree in History from VMI but I prefer to listen to those who have knowledge and the experience.

I have dealt with many from all walks of life from the White House down to ditch diggers who were grateful. However, I am tired of being challenged and may I suggest two things. First, may I suggest you go to boat information/Hunter resources/23.5 and review all the information to include owner modifications. Secondly, go to home page and under boat information, type in 23.5 with specific details as to what you are looking for which will bring up responses related to that subject. Otherwise you will need to Google for your requests for better information.

To all, please let this thread close down. Thanks