23.5 outboard motor

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Sag Harbor, NY
I have been told that my current Honda 9.9hp outboard is on its last legs and to repair is not worth the cost of materials and the hourly rate of the mechanic. So looking at acquiring a new or used outboard. I’ve been told by a few people including @Crazy Dave Condon that 9.9hp is too much for the 23.5. What HP would people recommend and is there a brand or two that I should look at Mercury, Yamaha Suzuki???) thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Depends on you sailing plans. If it is day sailing, then a 3 hp would be fine. If you plan to cruise and will at times need to motor a distance against wind and current, a 4 to 6 hp would be a better choice.

When I had a Tanzer 22 I used a 6hp Suzuki Long Shaft and it worked will with the 3,000 lbs boat for cruising on Lake Ontario.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check out the Tohatsu 6 long shaft as well. They are well made and parts are available.

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I’ve bee looking at mercury 5hp with 25” shaft for what seems to be a good price. There’s also a 6hp but only available with a 15” shaft both are 2022 models. Price difference is $163. Is the 1hp wiorth what seems to be a nominal difference but the difference in shaft length is what’s putting me off the 6hp. Not too knowledgeable in the outboard department so any suggestions between the two. I’ve also seen a 2020 Yamaha 6hp F6SMHA but not sure of the shaft length as the have it listed as 15-20”.. also not sure if new or used so would have to call to check on both. Money is a little tight right now so trying to get the best deal possible.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Shaft length is important, more important than an extra hp or two. If the shaft isn't long enough the prop won't have clean water to run in and it will come out of the water if there are any waves.

Mercury OBs are rebranded Tohatsu OBs often at a lower price.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
20" shaft is the minimum
5Hp is likely just OK
Most important consideration on brand is what brands are supported in your area. If you find a sweet deal on an Acme motor but there are no dealers in your area it is going to be more difficult to get service or have parts readily available.

6hp is plenty but are generally single cylinder motors. If you go up to 8hp they move up to two cylinders. Two cylinder motors are less buzzy but are significantly heavier.

Lots of discussion in the previous threads.
Check the archives.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Southern Crux

As a dealer, I gave the original plans for the Hunter 23.5 to Hunter. Small Mercury engines are built by Tohatsu. There are several shaft lengths being 15, 20 and 25 inches long. Forget the 15 inch shaft. 20 his ok but 25 inch shaft is preferable but be careful when putting on and off the trailer.

5 hp is minimum for the 23.5 but Tohatsu makes a 6 hp which is preferable. I will ask @rgranger to be more specific as to which. For electric start, go with the 8 hp.

I sold nearly a quarter of the production line for what it’s worth

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
The Tohatsu/Mercury/Nissan 4-6hp are all the same motor with larger carburetors for the higher hp models. Only Honda and Yamaha make their own motors in that size range. Perhaps Suzuki.

Fred W

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro. It was a very reliable motor and would start on the third pull even after sitting for four months over the winter. After that, it would usually start on the first pull. It also had a 6 amp alternator... and at the time that seemed like a real plus but with solar getting so inexpensive it is not as big of a differentiator as it once was.

I would recommend that you also consider weight into the overall decision matrix. I liked being able to man-handle my Tohatsu off of the boat and I could toss it into my truck and take it home.

Make a spreadsheet of features (including cost) and look at them all side by side. Once you think you have found your motor, go read reviews of that motor.

You also didn't say how you plan to use your motor. Are you going to do 4 to 5 day long cruises with many hours of motoring? If so, then I think your present line of inquiry is on target....Or will you only use the OB to get in and out of a slip or off of the launch ramp. If you think the longest you will ever run your motor on a day-sail or weekend is less than 5 hours, you could also consider the Torqeedo outboards. They can be run over 5 hours on a single charge. The Torqeedo would be especially suitable if the majority of your sailing is on a lake. You would then keep the advantage of running silent and skip the hassle of wet gas, fouled carburetors, fumes and noise. The reliability factor is a big plus in my mind. Electrics just work (until they don't). On my retirement bucket-list is to take a small (22' or less) sailboat from Key West to Main. And I will probably go electric with extended battery life and a lot of solar.

BTY: Torqeedo is 41 pounds and the battery will bluetooth to your phone so you can monitor ...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I have a Capri 22 with the 6HP Tohatsu 20". The motor has been great and plenty of power even when going into wind and current. I didn't like the idea of the longer (25") shaft because I felt it would stick out to far when sailing and on the mooring. I haven't had any cavitation issues with the 20" shaft so far. My motor bracket seems to really dip the engine down low which is nice. I could see it maybe being a problem if I were motor sailing and then I may have cavitation while the motor is on the windward side. But I am ether just sailing or motoring and not both.

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I went and checked up on the status today of my current OB. Still a few OB away from being looked at. I should know Monday (Tues at the latest). Once I know I think I have an idea as to which way I’m leaning towards

Tom L

Jun 24, 2004
Hunter 23.5 & 29.5 Baltimore, MD
I have a 23.5 and have used two different old outboards on it. The first is a 1993 Tohatsu 9.9hp 2 stroke long shaft. Even though it is a 2 stroke, it is heavy. But the power is good and it rarely cavitates. In strong wind (20+ knots) I am happy to have the power and feel I need it. I have tried an old Johnson short shaft 5hp 2 stroke. It is much lighter and easier to lift but it cavitates easily. I have to sit on the motor side to keep it deep enough. I would not want to use it in strong windy conditions.

Sep 22, 2020
Will do @Crazy Dave Condon.

Thanks for the reply Tom. I’m definitely going for long shaft IF I need to replace.im looking at an 8Hp. I don’t think I need a 9.9 but 6hp might be enough Hp

Sep 22, 2020
Update - My Honda 9.9 was able to be fixed. Not sure what exactly was wrong as I’m collecting tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
@Southern Crux

As a dealer, I gave the original plans for the Hunter 23.5 to Hunter. Small Mercury engines are built by Tohatsu. There are several shaft lengths being 15, 20 and 25 inches long. Forget the 15 inch shaft. 20 his ok but 25 inch shaft is preferable but be careful when putting on and off the trailer.

5 hp is minimum for the 23.5 but Tohatsu makes a 6 hp which is preferable. I will ask @rgranger to be more specific as to which. For electric start, go with the 8 hp.

I sold nearly a quarter of the production line for what it’s worth
dave, how about replacement on h260, what size motor would u recommend, thank you!