23.5 Mast Raising Pole?

Feb 28, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Lake Lewisville
Hi everyone,

I'm assuming these are the bridal wires for stepping the mast, but is this the right pole? It is notched on both sides and has wood in one end. Total length is 49"

Mast stepping 1.jpg

Mast stepping 2.jpg

mast stepping 3.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Send me a private message with name and phone number too. Advise location. Wrong on pole. I designed the system.

Crazy Dave

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In the middle of the pole you should have a wire harness like that to attach the jib halyard to and the mainsheet block and tackle to. Not sure which mast you have but the other is u shape to go into the hole on front of mast. The u shape allows for the pole to sit over the curved sail track

Feb 28, 2020
I appreciate the replies and the pictures. I'm not quite sure what the previous owner was doing with this pole since it doesn't have the bridle loops and is almost 2' shorter than the one that can be purchased online. I wish I had known enough about it to ask him at the time.

The homemade model above looks good and I think I might try the same. We put the mast up in a much more manual fashion and I'm certain that isn't something I want to do over and over. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The two loops on my pole are not for the baby stays. One end is attached to the mainsheet... which is used as the raising mechanical advantage.... and the other loop is attached to the jib halyard. The baby stays go from the mast to attachment points on the stanchions.

The mainsheet block and tackle attaches to a loop in the anchor locker and the other end to that loop on the gin pole.

go to about 2:24 in this video for a visual of what I'm trying to say....

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
That is not a standard stepping poll, OP. There is no magic to it, and Im sure you can make a suitable substitute with the proper dimensions. The end that goes in the mast hole needs to have a V-notch to fit over a corresponding V inside the mast. This it critical to keeping the poll positioned (and not dropping the mast).

I will most likely be going to the boat this weekend. I can take some good pics and measurements if you think you could use them.

Jan 19, 2010
One more thing.... from the video you can see that the proper technique is to wear socks in your crocks. :biggrin:

Feb 28, 2020
I've been waiting my whole life for a good reason to get some crocks ;)

Thanks again! Headed to lowes to get myself a fence pole and some cable.

Jan 19, 2010
Don't forget the thimbles and nuts..
1589381529903.png

1589381559907.png

My Lowes sells SS versions of these but if you have a hard time finding them, Tractor Supply and Norther Tool also sell them.

Feb 28, 2020
I got a 6' pole and drilled it for a test fit. After looking at more pictures I think I'll reduce the length of the cable a little bit. If the weather holds I'm going to see if I can get to the boat tonight to get a measurement of the sail track for the notch at the bottom of the pole.

mast_pole_01.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
:clap:

Looks like it will do the trick. And you just saved $200 not buying a new one.... so... time to go shopping for boat toys.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I got a 6' pole and drilled it for a test fit. After looking at more pictures I think I'll reduce the length of the cable a little bit. If the weather holds I'm going to see if I can get to the boat tonight to get a measurement of the sail track for the notch at the bottom of the pole.

View attachment 179052
Nice! I wouldnt worry about the cable length. Its not an important spec. You will just be hooking your halyard and main sheet to the loops. Doesnt matter if its an inch long or two feet. Just to save you some effort.

Do you still need any measurements, like the height of the pole?

Feb 28, 2020
@CrsipyCringle - It looks like the one that can be bought is 6' so I think I'm in good shape unless you see something else that I might not be considering.

Thanks again!

Feb 28, 2020
I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone. The new homemade pole worked perfectly! :biggrin: