23.5 mast centering baby stays while raising mast?

2bysea

May 26, 2010
hunter 33 trailor
I am just buying a H23.5 and previously had a H240 that had these cool mast to deck centering rods to keep the mast centered while raising and lowering the mast. I could probably fabricate a similar setup for my 23.5. Was wondering if anyone had a idea to imitate the H240 setup on their H23.5?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would suggest that you stick with the current set up with the bridle wires on the 23.5. There will be alot of cost and fabrication involved. I know the two boats all to well plus I designed the 23.5 mast raise system

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
If you don’t have the owners manual, go download it. I think it’s on the Marlow-Hunter site somewhere. The H19, 23.5, and 26 all are covered by the same manual and have similar systems for mast raising and it works very well. The manual even has the specs for the bridle stays, in case you don’t have yours.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Go to boat information/Hunter resources/23.5/downloads/owners manual. Be aware to look and make sure the page you are looking at the 23.5.

@twistedskipper
He want to put permanent struts on to the mast vs using the bridle wires

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
I was thinking of doing like the 240 except using wire rope (cable). I trailer sailing every time. I want to make them so I don't have to take them off. After sailing for 2 years last week I had a brain fart and forgot to attach them. Going to investigate whether I can attach to the same points that the 24 has them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What many fail to recognize is attachment of any struts onto deck of the 23.5 as there are no metal encapsulated plates inside the fiberglass deck. Also careful attention must be given trying to install struts on the 23.5 to insure proper working correctly in.

It will require stainless steel which is expensive. Will it save time ? No. Why? I was involved with the design of mast raising systems for Hunter.

It is your boat and your decision what to do with it