23.5 ballast tank water level

Sep 23, 2015
MacGregor 19 Az
Hi, just purchased a Hunter 23.5. Read the owners manual, and it reads that there should be some type of measuring stick, but I can't find it in the boat. So my question is, when the tank is full I can't quite reach it with my figure, about two inches below, is that ok? The tank fills and drains much faster than my old Mac by the way. The boat seemed fairly stable.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Hi Chris,
The tank will fill untill the water level is equal to the outside water line. You probably won't quite be able to touch it with a finger. Launch the boat, open the valve and air vent, tie up to the dock and then go park your truck. The tank will be full before you get back. Close the dump/fill valve securely and plug the air vent. Off you go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When you stick your finger into the vent hole and feel water, it is full. If leaving in the water for a length of time, add a little Clorox to keep microorganisms from growing as it will stink the boat up when opened up. As for heeling, no more than 12-14 degree heeling. Welll versed with this boat as a former dealer and involved with this project

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
Dave wrote : "As for heeling, no more than 12-14 degree heeling.".....

Dave, is that for performance or is it for safety? I was of the belief that heeling to the maximum would cause the rudder to come out of the water and the bow would swing into the wind. Never tried it but came really close a few times.

May 8, 2013
Hunter 240 Indianapolis
First of all, listen to Dave, he knows what he is talking about...big time. I've used a dowel in my H240 to gauge the water level. One problem I had in the past was, my ballast wouldn't fill up even if I left the valve open for hours. What I discovered was that the neoprene gasket at the on the valve had come loose and when I opened it up, the neoprene just floated up to the opening and stopped the water from going into the ballast. What I wound up doing was to remove the whole assembly and put a new gasket on the valve stem. That solved all of my issues. Dave was a big help in diagnosing the problem and helping me fix it. Thanks again Dave!
Regarding healing the boat, 12 to 15 degrees gives you a nice ride that is comfortable and going more than that will not increase your speed, and probably give your guests a scary ride. That angle of heal is really best suited for a water ballast boat. For a heavy lead keel, you can increase the healing angle and it may help with the speed of the boat. My son as a Hunter 25.5 and he heals his boat up to 40 degrees some times as is has a massive lead keel.

I hope that helps.
Bob

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks, I sometimes tell what I did not to be bragging but to let you know my experience with the 26 and 260 as I was involved with these boats very heavily and as a dealer sold nearly a quarter of the production line so I am knowledgable and experienced.

The boats have a B&R rig with swept back spreaders and no back stay which is a big plus. You can haul the jib in further without the use of a traveler being needed. Not only you have a lot more room in the cockpit without the backstay but it gives you a much larger mainsail. Thus combining the two sails give you comparing to other brands a traditional main and a 135-140% genoa. Thus the boat moves in light to moderate airs. In light air, I suggest a spinnakerwhich does nicely. As or heeling I never went over 12-14 degrees for two reasons. First not to scare the kids and women. Secondly, you add more wetted surface thus slowing you down so the boat sails faster flatter. Finally, I learned a lot from a friend who use to professionally raced and won in the Mediterainian (sorry for the spelling). He was very helpful when it came to lake racing as well. Sail control was the key which you need to learn. As a result, I raced against unofficially against some of the best in the country applying what I knew and generally won which I kept to myself. Hopefully this will help you but some will disagree. I respect all opinions except for those when safety is compromised and then I will speak out against any unsafe practices.

Mike; this was for both performance and safety. Sail faster flatter and the use of sail control is important. I sailed the 25.5 and a 40% heel of any kind is not only unsafe but one is battling the boat to control it. Think of it this way, when there is too much resistance on that rudder, you are slowing the boat down. Reduce sail area and/or let the sails out. If too much wind for the crew and you, come in for safety. Once I let a potential customer talk me into taking a Beneteau out in stormy weather and thought the mainsail should be in the water. I took over control when he not only scared me but his wife was screaming bloody murder. When we came into the dock, I read him the riot act and said it would be correct if she divorced him. I refused to sell any boat to him and seriously consider what he had done. Several years later, I saw that couple again with a child and that man came over and not only apologized but thanked me for saving his marriage. We became long time friends.

Last edited: