22-Footer

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WMarto

I just found a 1967 22', fin keel, no trailer, no outboard, main and jib sails (probably original) asking $1000. This would be a first boat, what do you think?

J

John Dawson

We all start somewhere

I might hazard a few assumptions without more info, maybe it will provoke more discussion. Are you saying its a Columbia? That vintage was at a time when the art of fiberglass was somewhat new, and many boats tended to be built very heavy. The good news is they were often as strong as tanks, the bad news is there may be problems with too thick gel coats, poor lamination or core conditions, not to mention excessive boat weight. Getting a proper survey or corresponding with others familiar with that brand is advisable, more to avoid future problems than to worry about initial price. Frankly, boats with this description are often abandoned, given away or donated to charities, so the price (in my opinion) is between 0 and 1000, and is more about buyer/seller interest. No trailer means you may have to pay to keep it in the water; you might do better finding a trailer boat from the 1970s with more modern features and construction. Whatever, just get going, your biggest regret will be not doing it sooner.

S

Steve Souther

What do you think

The boat I'm buying sounds about like yours, accept it doesn't have the sails. I hope to find them, though. It too was up for sail at $1000. I offerred $500 and they took it. This one has a nice trailor, too --- tandom with brakes. For what it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.