21 ft mac water in cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark7771

I have a 1974 21 mac. water comes into the cockpit from the drain hole where the keel winch cable is. If I sail for about and hour I have about 2 or 3 inches of water in the cockpit. Is something wrong with my drain? Do i need a plug when im sailing? The drain is clear of debris.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Cockpit Drain.

This is a design feature of the Venture /Macgregor 21s. With out the large cockpit drain, the keel cable would not be able to sing and you would not know how fast you are going.

There is not a lot you can do to permanently prevent water from coming into the cockpit. When we are sailing in that type of weather I stuff a sponge down into the hole around the cable. While it keeps the water out the keel can be raised the instant you touch bottom.

I have had my 21 for nearly 38 years and raised two daughters on it. I have been tempted to get a bigger boat then change my mind as I push the boat into my two car garage.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
2-3" of water in a cockpit just sounds wrong. Not a problem in my 26S - sorry I can't help. If this is normal, is there any way to add a separate floor drain to fix the problem? I'm surprised the Macs only have one drain path and I've wanted to add another one just in case mine plugs.

Sep 25, 2008
Water line

Does your boat float at the painted on water line?

When you said 2" to 3" of water, I assumed it was collecting on the low side of the cockpit well when you were heeling before a decent wind. When the boat returns to level does the water drain out?

If the boat were over loaded and floating deeper than design, it could also contribute to excessive water in the cockpit.

Oct 23, 2008
Macgregor v22 Tacoma
Unless you are heeling there should be no water in the cockpit. The ventures always spit at you through the drain I just keep a foot over it. On my v 22 there must be 12" to the water when you look through the drain.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
If your 21 is developing that much water when level you may be overloaded(mentioned earlier) or an unbalanced load perhaps toward the stern. I noticed a similar condition on my V21 with 5 adults and a child aboard. I noticed it more when the keel was only partially down suggesting some kind of venturi effect upwards(can't explain it- only observed it...).

Jul 26, 2010
mcgregor venture ruedi
Re: Cockpit Drain.

I'm not sure if my question about my '76 venture 21 got posted but maybe you could help. I was wondering if the keel had a place for a locking pin to insure it stays extended in case of turtling. If so where is the hole located?
bgabow@sopris.net
Thanks
Bruce

Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
Much like the guy that uses a sponge in the drain hole... I use a teak dowel that is used to plug holes in an emergency... and for the guy asking about the locking pin for the keel, if your 21 is like my 22... you have a second hole not far from the bolt the keel hinges on that you can put a bolt through. Just remember... if you run aground.. you will not be able to get the bolt out to raise the keel.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I used to use a large black rubber plug. Sorta like a cork. You can also put a piece of PVC in the hole and raise the level at which the water can come in. The Black plug seemed to work best. The water is being forced through the hole because the cockpit sole is so close to waterline.

Sep 25, 2008
I just had a brain storm. If you have camped or have a good memory there is a sink stopper that is a floppy rubber disk. To use it you just place it in any sink and press all of the sides of the disk against the sink and fill with water.

Has anyone used something similar on the keel cable to keep water from coming into the cockpit of the V-21?

Another idea would be similar. A rubber disk with the center cut pie shape with the pie cut in to eights. Again the disk would fit around the cable, as the cable went up and down the pie shaped pieces of the disk would go up as the cable was retracted and down as the keel was lower. At all times there would be a reasonable seal to keep the water out. Sort of like the iris of the old mechanical shutters in a camera.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The floppy one used the pressure of the water in the sink to hold it down and keep the water in--not what you want in a boat unless you want to use the cockpit for a bath tub.

I just had a brain storm. If you have camped or have a good memory there is a sink stopper that is a floppy rubber disk. To use it you just place it in any sink and press all of the sides of the disk against the sink and fill with water.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
My simple fix

I took a plastic coffee can lid, cut a slit to the center and carved a small hole the size of the cable in the center and slid into place. Kept most of the splash water out of the cockpit.

I have a 1974 21 mac. water comes into the cockpit from the drain hole where the keel winch cable is. If I sail for about and hour I have about 2 or 3 inches of water in the cockpit. Is something wrong with my drain? Do i need a plug when im sailing? The drain is clear of debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.