• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

2024 Hurricane Forecasts

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
NOAA Has just published its forecast.
1716590585031.png

Levi Cowan of Tropical Tidbits has shared his thoughts.

1716590725554.png

Colorado State University published back at the start of April..

Forecast for 2024 Hurricane Activity

Forecast ParametersCSU Forecast for 2024*Average for 1991-2020
Named Storms2314.4
Named Storm Days11569.4
Hurricanes117.2
Hurricane Days4527.0
Major Hurricanes53.2
Major Hurricane Days137.4
Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE)+210123
ACE West of 60 degrees longitude12573

We anticipate that the 2024 Atlantic basin hurricane season will be extremely active.

CSU Hurricane Seasonal Forecasting

Jim & John Hurricane Forecast for 2024

Based on an examination of the scientific data and similarities of the conditions that existed at the beginning of 2021, our best guess is that the 2024 season will have a similar trajectory to that of 2021 concerning the developments of the Hurricane Season.

1716590922245.png

Weather and Forecasting
Jim and John

The 2024 storm names...
1716591220755.jpeg

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The NHC did make their Standard Pie Chart

GORcrDSboAA26Id.png

They noted Worst ever in the Satellite era.

Dammit Jim...

• Helpful

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
This is not good news
This is true. While we can not do much to affect the development of such storms, we can prepare ourselves, our family, and our boat to deal with them as best we can should a storm arise and head our way.

The information about this coming season is not "Happy Balmy sit back and sip an adult beverage".

If there were a time to consider being a prepper, this would be indicated by the forecasts being shared. Stay aware and act upon the local NOAA and FEMA information as it is generated.

Knowledge and preparation can help to reduce stress and worry.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Having just bought a house in Bonita Springs, FL (gulf side just north of Naples), I am now paying more attention to your forecasts!

My insurance review shows the elevation is 12 Feet! So now I have to worry about global warming and sea levels rising :yikes:

IMG_3177.jpeg

picking up the U-Haul on Monday and loading up….and hitting the road on Tuesday for the closing on Friday.

Man, retirement is stressful :cool:

Greg

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am now paying more attention to your forecasts!
My cousin lives on the Imperial River in Bonita Springs.

I have much information on levels of water and gauges.

If you are interested, PM me.

Jim...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I have to worry about global warming and sea levels rising
I used to love Mr Wizard..
If the Ice you worry about is sitting in water, what are your thoughts?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I used to love Mr Wizard..
If the Ice you worry about is sitting in water, what are your thoughts?
I am guessing that ice, even the stuff above the waterline, is displacing pretty close to its volume of water.so when it melts, it is still about the same volume in the glass ?

I think I am more worried about the polar icecap melting…the parts above the waterline.

Greg

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
This is an interesting image.
1716686676356.jpeg

I suspect if the polar ice on the land portion of the polar cap melts, I imagine any where near the equator most likely would be unlivable.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have an old 1 iron from when that was still a popular golf club. Ever since I put it in the boat, no hurricane has come close enough to threaten her. As they say, “even God can’t hit a 1 iron”.

sorry, old joke.