2024 Honda 2.3 HP outboard winterizing

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I am looking for your tips on winterizing my new 2.3 HP Honda outboard.
For my old (24 years old) 4 stroke Mercury 3.5 HP outboard, I would run it in a barrel of fresh water, then while it was running spray Fogging Oil into the carburetor until it stalled out. Remove the spark plug, squirt some 30 W oil in the cylinder, pull the handle a few times to coat the cylinder and replace the plug.
Close the fuel filter and be done.(Given fresh gas with stabilizer added)
Then while it‘s hanging on my stand, drain the lower unit oil and refill.
That’s pretty much it, and it always started up in the spring, good to go.

Now I have a new 2 stroke Honda 2.3 HP outboard and it’s not looking quite that easy.
Can anyone share how they winterize their Honda 2.3 HP.
There is a special adapter (19271-ZV1-810) to drain the oil easier than just tipping the motor over a can. Which seems like a good idea to me.
So the next question I have is….Is the lower unit oil fill the same size as my oil fill pump handle dispenser or is that unique to Honda as well?
Share your techniques.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
There is usually a drain screw on the bowl of the carburetor. Open it and drain any residual gas after after letting it run dry. Same for your snow blower, generator and any other small carbureted engine. For the lower unit you can probably make a cheap adapter if the fitting doesn't fit. Most likely it will since they are both metric.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I have a Honda 2.3, to winterize I add a storage dose of Bio-Bor gas treatment, shut off the gas supply valve and run the engine until the carburetor is empty. In the spring, I add some fresh gas and start it up. Haven't changed the lower unit lube yet (5 years). Changing engine oil is a pain so the adapter may be worth it.

Sep 26, 2008
I do use Trufuel for my gas. And I just ordered the adapter for the oil drain. I think it will make the job a lot cleaner at least. Better than tipping the engine over a bucket.
I like the motor, not a real big fan of the clutch system, but getting better at controlling the lurching when I first start out. For me it was the trade off I had to do because my dinghy dock is really in the silt at low tide and it did a job on my Mercury water pump.
Thank you all for your guidance.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I think posters mostly have it covered here. Change the oil, run ethanol-free fuel through it, make sure that there's no ethanol fuel still remaining in the tank. I generally treat all of my fuel with Sta-Bil Marine 360 for extra corrosion protection. It's not absolutely required, especially when running Tru-Fuel, but I always have it on hand anyway.

It looks like that motor is air-cooled, so no need to worry about flushing the cooling system.

Run some fogging oil through the air intake, according to the instructions on the can.

Consider giving the spark plug an eyeball and replace depending on condition/age. You can give the cylinder a little bit of fogging oil while you have the plug out, again according to the manufacturer's instructions.

+1 on corrosion protection on the motor. I use Fluid Film on all my marine motors and they stay looking absolutely perfect.

Sep 26, 2008
Got the adapter to drain the oil easier today. Looks like it will make it cleaner and easier. The opening is just shy of 1/2 inch. With a length of flexible hose in there, draining the oil into a container should work nicely.

Attachments