2020 Oceanis 30.1/ Trailering

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Greetings to the group. Though I currently sail a modest 22 foot trailer sailor that I've lovingly restored over the past few years, I've been sailing for many years from Sun Fish to larger cruising boats. We like to tell ourselves that our 22 footer is our "practice and certification boat" for now. There is an end game down the road that involves cruising the Panhandle of FLA (30A) to Key West a few months out of the year and even parts of the ICW, with a "theoretical" home base somewhere between Destin and Kentucky Lake (or both back and forth). You guys undoubtable know the route and the lifestyle we intend on living when we hang it up and dawn our wet gear for good. We live extremely active lifestyles for our ages (51 and 53) and sail as often as we can many times planing an entire trip around hauling a Sunfish or Hobie Cat a thousand miles and literally sailing until we drop. We love to daysail our 22 on lakes here in the heartland and have even trailer her all the way to the Gulf and back. All that being said, the 30.1 tweak some interest, because after all there will come a day when I want to stop fixing old boats and relax and sail... And when not sailing, it will server as a live aboard and our home 3 or 4 months out of the year (some where between Kentucky Lake and Key West). So, has anyone actually towed one of these exquisite yachts? Is it a unicorn? I've searched for years now for the perfect "trailer sailor" and haven't found it yet... 22's - 27footers (the normal width and beam of a trailer sailer) leave a lot to be desired in headroom, private heads, showers etc... It sure would be nice to trailer to Miami or the port of Mobile when the option presented itself or was required. I also like the idea of the maintenance and lack of sleep fees. We have a great old barn that's nice and dry. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Fair winds.

Todd and Molly

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
I thought about this boat too. What concerns me is the lack of mast stepping facilities if you were to take it up to say Yellowstone Lake or somewhere like that. Does anyone know how you get the mast up?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I thought about this boat too. What concerns me is the lack of mast stepping facilities if you were to take it up to say Yellowstone Lake or somewhere like that. Does anyone know how you get the mast up?
I found this reference “ You can get a tabernacle mast that you can raise or lower easily, “

I’m not sure if this means this is a “special” rig??? Probably best to speak directly to a Beneteau dealer, also factor in $ for a trailer and a vehicle to haul it :)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't give up, we trailered a Starwind 22' to the Long Island Sound, The Chesapeake Bay, The Outer Banks, the Great Lakes and all over Georgia and Florida. Our larger boat just went day sailing and to the Bahamas.

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Thanks Benny - We'll never stop sailing. The thing I've come to love about a trailer sailor is the absence of certain maintenance and the constant worry (when she's in the water), of is she dry? Did a through hull crap out and sink her. I sank a beautiful little Salt Marine 19 gaff rigger twice lol or I should say the marina let her sink... everyone knows the drill here. Dead battery, no pump.... boat sinks.

I'm just saying if I spend $150,000 on a sailboat (and that is a lot of money, even though all the mags and Beneteau boast of its affordability) I would rather have it on a trailer in dry storage.

Maybe the never give up you're referring to is the quest for the perfect "trailer sailer." Twenty-two's are great for day sailing and I've even done extended stays aboad... but, let's be honest there just isn't enough room. We continue to modify our beloved V222 - this year I will ad a Bimini and start an enclosure (again money that will never be returned as again... she will only ever be worth what a fifty year-old Venture 222 is worth... But, we continue. If only to make our experience's better and more comfortable with what we have... and that's S/V Sea Gypsy - Lucky Hull #13 of the Venture Line from MacGregor.

So we learn and certify and travel with her... but, there will be a day. A day when my research is done and I empty a savings account and well let's just say Sea Gypsy's predecessor will be named S/V Sea Ya lol. Of course I could be hit by a bus tomorrow or the economy could collapse... or and or and or. But, the search for the perfect boat continues. If only to sustain me through these dark times. And of those imagined boats... I always come back to "maybe she should fit on a trailer too?"

I know this question has probably been ask before but what is the perfect cruising, trailerable sailboat? Does it even exist? Just thought I'd through this out there... It could be a can of worms because I know this subject is very, very subjective. But let's put some bench marks around it and say 1) Deck Stepped Mast 2) Enclosed Head w/ Shower 3) Complete Galley and Fridge 4) Room for a couple to "live" for a couple of months / weeks off and on during the year 4) Room for two of the grown kids to come sleep when we are some place warm. 5) Single handed rig 6) Under #8000 (honestly this becomes the limit of what I'm comfortable with and even safe in my opinion to transport.) Finally - I know my limitations and we will never cruise the Caribbean on an extended live aboard scenario (besides that's getting too crowded with all the millennials making You Tube videos on how to cruise on a budget in the sailboat they restored.We will simply as stated early - hang somewhere between the Keys and Pensacola and hit the ICW up the ditch to Kentucky Lake. But, once back at the marina in KY, it sure would be nice to put her on a trailer and take her home and tuck her in dry dock.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I just looked up the specs on the 30.1...
One problem is that the beam is 9’10” which means it will require a highway permit to move it.
Not exactly a spur of the moment move from point a to point b.