2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
So... sitting in the cockpit with some nachos and a cold one. A crab boat pulls in across the dock and says " hey we caught too many, would you like some?". All cleaned and washed and guess what we're having for dinner.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Michael Davis those twin keels are a popular configuration for sailors in Britain.

I think that would just make you want to always run with a clean bottom. You would just be doing a lot of extra work.

Jan 5, 2017
a popular configuration for sailors in Britain.
My Dads last boat was a Westerly Centaur with bilge keels. We had a great drying beach in front of the house in Ladysmith so it was a great boat for there. When I saw this one I thought of us changing our propellers. How easy could it be?

Oct 22, 2014
How easy could it be?
One could play with several props till they got it right... Or as I am pretty sure... Just ask Kelsey.
Did I tell you he suggested I bring my boat up to Comox and use the Tidal Grid to put on the new prop.

Jan 5, 2017
Tidal Grid to put on the new prop.
Yes ,you did mention that but this way any beach would do. I think you're right though, we shouldn't have to worry about changing them anymore. Kelsey really knows what he's doing!

Oct 22, 2014
we shouldn't have to worry about changing them anymore
Well at least for now...
Or until one gets a bug up the behind because of some new fangled best in the world no one can be without prop that pushes the boat beyond hull speed and uses half the diesel of older conventional props.

You go first.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Well at least for now...
Or until one gets a bug up the behind because of some new fangled best in the world no one can be without prop that pushes the boat beyond hull speed and uses half the diesel of older conventional props.

You go first.
John sounds like your talking about the autoprop
Les

Jan 5, 2017
No moving parts on the Campbell, Les. I've read where some auto props have lost blades and moving parts are subject to barnacles etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think such a new wonder prop will need to come with a new wonder engine. If you want to get all you should get out of the prop. You know, like twice hull speed or more.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 20, 2016
No moving parts on the Campbell, Les. I've read where some auto props have lost blades and moving parts are subject to barnacles etc.
My reading on the lost blades is that either lack of maintenance or incorrect re-torqueing is responsible on the B.B. style autoprops. Haven’t heard about it happening on the new style. Also talking to a diver in JohnS dock he was replacing a blade on a Max prop so none of the folders/feathers are immune.

BTW the autoprop I bought and rebuilt bu not installed is the B.B. style.

Les

Jan 5, 2017
none of the folders/feathers are immune.
Agreed. I've heard of problems with all of them. Should be really good in fresh water I think. My neighbour dives to clean his every 4 months or so to ensure it opens properly. No moving parts was a big reason I bought the first Campbell ( as well as cost, of coarse!) I bought the 2nd because I was so happy with the first.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
I got the autoprop for about $1100 after buying the rebuild kit. It came off a C36 so I know it’s the right one. The P.O. went withs varifold because of reduced drag. Can’t wait to try it out. Right now I’m over proped and can only get to 2600 rpm.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wonder how my J-prop is going to work over time. Mainsail swears by his. I do crank things up in the winter every few weeks and will go into fwd and reverse a few times when I do.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I think such a new wonder prop will need to come with a new wonder engine. If you want to get all you should get out of the prop. You know, like twice hull speed or more.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Sounds like we're talking power boat trash here. I thought this was a sailing forum. Sheesh.:biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
Sailing is the back up when the engine quits. Isn’t that correct.?:banghead::laugh:

@Will Gilmore the proposed idea was intended to have a prop that accomplished the miraculous so that we could run the boat up on shore. Layup on s tidal grid and swap the new prop. That meant the rest of the boat would not be changed.:D

When such an event graces our lives we can all celebrate. :deadhorse: