2018 resolutions and evolutions

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
In honor of the new year, what sailing-related resolutions have you made for 2018?

How did your sailing skills or attitudes evolve in 2017?

And happy new year to everyone!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Okay I'll bite...

1) Buy a new head-sail...
2) Install a traveler (sorry Dave)

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Sail more, work on it less. Do some overnights on it.
Finish re-covering the cushions among other canvaswork.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
Sell our H356, close on the new MH40, and learn to sail with a full battened mainsail again!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I like your Evolutions idea, Phil.

I'm in the evolution of making sailing simpler, and easier.

The last few years I've simplified my boats systems with the intent of getting sailing faster (improving sail handling), and spending more time under sail than powering. Lazy jacks, improving running rigging(lots of room for improvement there, on and old boat like mine).

Energy conservation onboard has meant less demand on batteries with a result of less charging(powering). Sailing onto and off anchor, moorings and in and out of harbors, has led to more gratifying sailing.

Freedom: I think we're going to convert to a composting head to eliminate pump outs as well as further simplify the boat.

Happy New Year to you and everybody as SBO.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The end of our 2017 sailing season had us evaluating our sailing style and deciding to move up to a larger boat, a C30.
For 2018 we hope to evolve from day sailors to weekend sailors, overnighting at the slip and at anchor. We like our comforts and we think the C30 will provide the comfort our O'day 25 was lacking.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My New Years resolution is to go overnight sailing for multiple nights in at least 4 different locations.
Sail more, work on it less.
I'd make the same resolution as SailormanDan, but since I haven't been sailing on my new boat yet and she still needs a lot of work to get her in the water, any sailing would be more sailing and I can't do it without working on Dragonfly more.

How did your sailing skills or attitudes evolve in 2017?
I have learned a lot about sailing since joining SBO, especially my early back and forths with Jackdaw. I can't express how valuable he has been as both a resource and a sounding board.
I hope to continue with more of the same in the coming year(s).
Thanks Jackdaw.

Happy New Year, everyone on SBO.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Resolutions. Spend the money on the new boat's needs. Pare down and sell just about everything else collected over a "career" spanning almost 3 decades.

I believe my sailing skills have devolved.

Feb 20, 2011
...and have been replaced, by what?
Greater fear. I haven't fully raised my mainsail on any of my most recent sails, and have skipped the genoa in favor of the staysail. Some intimidating wind and swells have given me pause...

Gotta resume the blogging too, but dealing with stupid gov't agencies had caused me to protect certain information from getting out into the wild.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
@Will Gilmore: Amen! Time spent sailing is not time spent working and I like doing projects for the boat, I just realized over that last year+ that I hadn't been out a whole lot and I plan on making up for that this season. Hopefully you have the time and can get through them quickly and get out on the water.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Appalachacola, best shrimp and oysters I've ever had.
Well I live 45 miles from New Orleans. :pimp:
The seafood "rubs off".:)
Plus I can go down to the "Docks" for fresh Shrimp and Oysters here in MS.

Hmmm? I wonder if I can pull a butterfly shrimp net behind my boat. Kinda like a "Sea Anchor":rolleyes:
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hmmm? I wonder if I can pull a butterfly shrimp net behind my boat.
So that's how they catch butterflied shrimp.

My wife and I go to Jazz Fest a lot. Hoping to make it this year too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
proper trawling signals
Daytime lights?:kick:

One of my valued Veteran's benefits is...
Free Hunting/Fishing License.

I do fish while cruising. My line is in Auto Pilot too.:)
______
Back on theme...
I did learn my boats Hull Speed characteristics in 2017.
1) Too much sail forced my bow down and rudder up. Tougher to control.
2) Close hauled ≈60° was best control at hull speed.
3) Running with the wind and B&R rigging was much different than my knowledge base.
4) Hurricane preparation for my boat. PITA!!

Jim...

Feb 20, 2011
Not getting sails hoisted can leave that impression. :)
You wouldn't believe the puke-fest we had on Tuesday. 2 out of 5 souls on board lost it, one of them onto a passenger's lap. She took it in stride though.