2014 Beneteau Oceanis 48. Freezer

Vortac

Jan 20, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Huntington
Hi All

I am having problems with the freezer.
It is my understanding that all 4 side should form ice on the top of the unit.
I was only getting 2 sides.
I brought in a tech. He stated compressor needed to be changed
The existing unit was a 30. He put in a 35 (size)
We were coastal sailing for 13 days
The unit at one point did freeze 3 sides for a short time. Down to 45 degrees I am thinking it should get to 32 degrees
These units are suppose to have 4 coils one of each side of box
( forgot the right terminology ) I am wondering if one has a leak. I thinking original compressor failed due to a leak. Trying not to burn out another compressor.
Can anyone confirm Beneteau has had a problem from the beginning with there freezers.
What what has been done.
Looking like a big project to replace freezer coils.
Thanks

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If it is a freezer, it should get a lot colder than that. Is this an original equipment unit on your Beneteau?

I'm confused by the " Form ice" on all sides. What do you mean? Make ice in various places? See frost on the inside of the box?

The compressor needs to be able to be cooled itself. Usually that's be air flow or water that is flowing. If the compressor is working too hard it will first not produce cooling adequately, then it will cease to function.

Are you in Huntington, NY? Have you had a marine refrgeration tech look at your boat?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis

This is a prior post. I'd see if you can contact him.

I think you may find the same issues

Vortac

Jan 20, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Huntington
Yes the freezer gets ice on 2 sides up toward the top. Kind of like othe build up you use to see in old ice boxes before that introduced a defrost cycle in the freezer I thought this might be by design. being cold air falls

I did notice that both the refrigeator compressor and the freezer compressor of squeezed into the same spot

there is a grill for fresh air. the chair in that area could block the vent if you chose to have it in that configuration

I just read all the post. from your suggestion. I do not any post with a resolution.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Yes the freezer gets ice on 2 sides up toward the top. Kind of like othe build up you use to see in old ice boxes before that introduced a defrost cycle in the freezer I thought this might be by design. being cold air falls

I did notice that both the refrigeator compressor and the freezer compressor of squeezed into the same spot

there is a grill for fresh air. the chair in that area could block the vent if you chose to have it in that configuration

I just read all the post. from your suggestion. I do not any post with a resolution.

What is the temperature inside your freezer when you set it and run it normally? Does the compressor cycle normally -- or is it essentially on all or almost all the time?

Is the insulation trimmed back like the other poster from a couple years (or so) ago?

Did you try and contact that poster from a couple years ago to see what happened with he and his problem?

If you compressor isn't ventilated adequately, it i) won't function properly; and, ii) it will have a short life.
If your cold boxes aren't properly insulated, then they the compressor will have to work extra hard; and/or they won't be able to be brought down to the intended temperatures.

What do you mean by 'I do not any post with a resolution'? ;^))))