• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

2013+ MH-40 Discussion

Hull13

Jul 7, 2013
Hunter 40 Traverse City, MI
Anyone out there with a Marlow Hunter 40 that would like to compare notes? Have solved a few problems along the way but sure that more are on the horizon and hope to share/learn from others.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I have a 2018 MH40 (Hull 137). I have 3 friends on the Chesapeake that all have 2013 MH40's. We have all dealt with problems that were correctable. It is a comfortable boat that sails very well and we love it. We would be glad to share our travails and compare note with you.

Bob

Hull13

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. We love the boat overall and think it has many advantages over the rest of the production boats that we have been on. Especially when it comes to comfort and cabin aesthetics. Most of the production boats we have been on look like the cabins were outfitted by IKEA.

My biggest concern currently is with the seal on the SD-50 sail drive. I had the place I stored the boat inspect it and they didn’t feel it needed to be replaced this year but they seem to be of the opinion that the engine will need to be pulled to replace the seal. Has anyone had this done yet?

I have had to lap the clutch cones in the sail drive twice already and figure I am pretty close to having to do it again soon. Has anyone installed the Yanmar upgrade to the SD-50 (I believe it has bearing rather than bushing on bottom of gear box assembly). I have been considering this for the next time I have to lap the clutch cones.

I see discussions where the Sd-50s have been replaced with Sd-60s but I really wasn’t looking forward to that expense.

looking forward to the conversation with fellow MH40 owners!

Ken.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
2nd your comments on the cabin layout and aesthetics, that was a big factor that helped swing our purchase decision between the MH40 and a Catalina 425, especially for the Commodore. The Yanmar SD-50 sail drive was a big concern for me when we were negotiating our purchase agreement with David Marlow. I sent him several articles on maintenance issues with the SD-50 and Yanmar's own recommendation that the SD-60 was a better match for the Yanmar 4JH57 engine. Marlow relented and agreed to provide the SD-60 sail drive.

A friend with a MH40 had a sail drive leak problem after he snagged or hit something while sailing. He had the boat hauled out at a boat yard that was not familiar with his boat and the travel lift operator got the aft lift strap on the travel lift under the sail drive and punched the sail drive up, destroying the sealing ring. He had some temporary repairs made the to seal the drive and had the boat towed to a boat yard in Annapolis that had a Yanmar service dealer who replaced the seal and got the conical clutch lapped, it had already started slipping. I'll let Greg know you are interested in the seal replacement work he had done.

Hull13

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks Bob. I would be very interested in hearing from him on this.

Curious if you have an asymmetrical spinnaker and if so what you have done to connect the tack to the bow. I rigged a block to the eyelet below the jib furling unit that I run a tack line through, but isn't the best approach. I don't have a bow sprit.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
My MH-37 has a tack padeye on the anchor roller. I have a block installed and ran a tack line and shackle back along the port stanchions to a Lewmar rope clutch by the cockpit. It allows me to trim the tack based on the point of sail.

Hull13

Jul 7, 2013
That is similar to my setup, except I just run tack line to the bow cleat. The block I installed doesn't really feed quite right depending though. When I use my ATN tack collar, the line rubs on the jib furling drum. When I don't use the collar, the line wants to rub/catch on the red/green light housing. Would like to figure out some type of sprit I can attach and get the tack line out in front of the bow pulpit.

Thanks for the reply and information.