2010 O'day rOnDAYvous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Well, as Porky Pig would say,, "Th-th-th-that's all, folks!"

I hope everyone who made it to the 2010 rOnDAYvous had a grand ol' time. I sure did. And I hope, too, that everyone made it back home without undue incident.

The suggestion box is open for those who want to offer ideas on how we can make next year's gathering even better. Feel free to post up here or email me directly.

See you all in 2011, if not before.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Nov 11, 2008
Oday 34 Noank, CT
Was a great time Pete! I'll have some pics to post as soon as I get caught up on work!

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
WOW what an event. Almost wish there were more of these throughout the year.

I posted pictures here -
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=460211&id=768685110&l=447e3c9f7f

I also wrote a blog -
My First Voyage: A sailing adventure to the rOnDAYvous!
http://apps.facebook.com/faceblogged/?uid=768685110

For anyone on the fence to going out on a trip like this you should definitely do it. As a person that just started sailing 2 months ago I had the time of my life and learned a lot about sailing and the boat.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
WOW what an event. Almost wish there were more of these throughout the year.

I posted pictures here -
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=460211&id=768685110&l=447e3c9f7f

I also wrote a blog -
My First Voyage: A sailing adventure to the rOnDAYvous!
http://apps.facebook.com/faceblogged/?uid=768685110

For anyone on the fence to going out on a trip like this you should definitely do it. As a person that just started sailing 2 months ago I had the time of my life and learned a lot about sailing and the boat.
Nice pics George! The more you sail, the better you'll get at it. I learned one important thing many years ago and that is; Always have an alternate plan just in case the first plan goes wrong. You can adapt that strategy to just about anything. It sounds like you had a great time. I wish you many more.
Smooth Sailing!
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Nice pics George! The more you sail, the better you'll get at it. I learned one important thing many years ago and that is; Always have an alternate plan just in case the first plan goes wrong. You can adapt that strategy to just about anything. It sounds like you had a great time. I wish you many more.
Smooth Sailing!
Joe
Thanks Joe, That sounds pretty logical but figured since I was going to follow other ODayer's I didn't think much of it. Although on the last day it was a sporadic start and many were trying to decide on a CT westward sail or a Long Island westward sail. Many boats where split up and basically we went our own way from Westbrook area to Milford. We lucked out on a new lesson learned on how to powersail. :) Like I said we learned a lot about our boat and sailing in just that one weekend.

Next time I'll have to definitely put some float plan together.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
I got a note about many not being able to get on the blog I made of the 2010 rOnDAYvous so I copied and pasted here for reference. I can't thank enough for Capt Pete for setting this all up and the list of other helpful ODayer's that kept us going.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My First Voyage: A sailing adventure

My experiences of sailing have been limited to a few experiences over the years as a crew member. Most of that time it was pull this rope or tie down this other rope. Never as a captain of a boat or sailing journey that took us four days and encompassed 120 miles of sailing adventure.

This year I had the opportunity of purchasing my first boat, an Oday 222. I have been living in Milford for almost 10 years and always wanting to have a boat of my own to enjoy our beautiful port since the first day I moved here. I named her ‘estopa’ after a family’s nickname used in the old country known by family and friends. Estopa is Portuguese for the word we know as ‘oakum’. Oakum is the preparation of tarred fiber used in shipbuilding, for caulking or packing the joints of timbers in wooden vessels years ago. Little that I knew I had come from a long ancestry of mariners. They were known for tinkering with boats longer than most mariners and were given the name estopa most likely a derogatory name at the time but stuck with the family as an easy way to be identified.

I had been sailing estopa for about a month when I heard through the Oday’s online owners group that a meet was being planned called the 2010 O'day rOnDAYvous! I jumped at the chance to experience a journey of a lifetime with fellow sailors. Knowing this I prepared for the voyage by learning as much as I could about estopa and sailing. I have been sailing estopa as often as I could. Learning when and how to set the sails of course with many lessons learned. Every time I sailed out I learned something new. By the time the rOnDAYvous approached I had high confidence.

I left my dock Thursday morning heading out of Milford Port with enthusiastic hope of estopa’s maiden voyage. She was fully packed with food, drink and all the navigational tools that I had hoped would take me to Long Island. What beauties will I see, what strangeness will occupy my mind, will I become one with the ocean. We set sail with five (Da Capo, Emmie Lou, Yeraz, Wise Eyes) other boats from Milford to Westbrook’s Duck Island with Armando, one of my best friends at my side, my first mate he is, helping with navigation to cleaning the dishes. No one can ask for a better friend to be by my side on this epic 120 mile voyage.

We arrive at Duck Island in time for dinner where we meet up with a few more boats (Jill E, Apple O’day, Second Wind). As we anchor and begin our meal for the night behind Duck Island I wish do we that our sail could take us away to new places traveling amongst the stars to be untied from a dock, from a life on land, from the daily motions of the civilized world. A few drinks and a puff from a fine cigar, to live life as Peter Pan intended it.

Friday morning we awake to a beautiful sunrise, a sunrise not witnessed by many and our thoughts on the arduous sail ahead of us. We are going to be crossing the Long Island Sound an estuary, a place where salt water from the ocean mixes with fresh water from rivers and the land. The Race, as referred to due to the dangerous currents had to be timed precisely. The Oday group indicated our best time to cross the Plum Gut between Plum Island and Orient Point was 2pm so we set sail at 10am. We sailed with a flotilla of Odayers, at first we were under sail averaging 5-6 knots then had to power up our motors for the next hour. As we were approaching the race we found a bit of wind which helped us through the gut with sail only. Armando and I felt a feeling of accomplishment as we sailed into Gardiners Bay, in fact, we were so confident that we continued sailing through Gardiners Bay to our final stop in Greenport, Long Island. Unfortunately as we were passing Orient Beach the current grew more and more waves. After about 6 tacks we decided that with 5-6 foot waves breaking our bow that continuing to sail would not be a good idea. We fired up our trusty outboard and took down the sails to power into Orient Harbor. While in the harbor powering our way to Greenport we did manage to open our Jib just a bit to take advantage of the wind to take us into port in no time. As we approached the docking and thinking our adventure that took us to places so boldly where many men have not treaded.

That night after long needed shower and meal our sea legs we have acquired, a bit shaky, but eventually came around to see where we had come around. A drink of Crown Royale and a cigar we were dreaming the night away of many voyages yet to come.

Saturday morning we awoke to visit many of the Oday owners face to face in workshops setup to help you keep in shape while under sail to a narration of fellow Odayer whom annually sail from North Carolina to Connecticut via the intercostals’ waterways. What I had learned about this group is the camaraderie, a spirit of familiarity and trust existing between people that may have only met once but hold a strong bond with ownership of an Oday boat. The Brewer Stirling Harbor Marina in Greenport is a Jewel in the North Fork in Long Island. The amenities included new looking docks, a pool, bathrooms and poolside cabanas, picnic areas, and exercise room. Our time at the marina helped us charge our batteries for the return trip home. While at Greenport, we decided on a visit to the local village. Strolling the sidewalks, we found many unique boutiques, ice cream shops, museums, restored Art Deco movie theater and restored old Jail house. Next door to the Jail house was the local brewery which was hosting an open house. After tasting all their unique beers I need to mention that a stop at Greenport Harbor Brewing Company is worth every minute.

Back at the marina, the Oday owners group had hosted a great dinner. Using one of the picnic areas as a banquet hall and a local catering group we enjoyed a meal of a lifetime. To cap off the night the Oday SOS Band got together for a great sing-along.

The next morning we spent some time readying our boat for the return home which we decided on a one day adventure back. With GPS in hand and the knowledge of when to cross the Plum Gut we were confident as we headed out of Greenport Harbor. We motor sailed to Plum Gut averaging 6 knots with Rich (Jill E) right behind us. After Plum Gut we were faced with a west wind which helped us cross the Long Island Sound but was going to prove a tough sail west ward to Milford. Luckily half way across the sound we received a more southern wind which helped us tack closer to a western track. We finally saw Connecticut land in Old Saybrook and kept our westward tack with land in sight. This proved to be a challenge because after we passed the Westbrook Duck Island we experienced a heavy chop of waves at times getting 5 to 6 feet in height finally subsiding as we approached the New Haven area. Unfortunately somewhere in the Branford area we experienced enough wave height that our grill cover bounced off the boat never to be seen again in the depths of the sound. Although we did learn to tack closer to the wind by taking a utility line and attaching it to the end of our boom to the cleat in port side of the boat to pull the boom over the center line and enabling our westward track. In hindsight next time we will take a farther from shore track back home and hopefully avoid some of the current or wave chop experienced by being in sight of land.

As we were approaching Milford we were hailed by an unlikely Odayer, Mike (Da Capo) came over the radio with a call to estopa. Armando and I looked at each other as if we were dreaming until the call came out again. Without hesitation we hailed back to Mike to find out that he was in Milford Harbor on the hook wondering if we made it back in one piece. After some small talk on the radio recanting the adventure we just experienced we were glad to hear Mike has also experienced the same thing. We were greeted in Milford by Mike and cold beers celebrating our joyous occasion.

As I slept the night away finally back on land I kept thinking of this voyage and how much I learned that I am here at this time to find out who I am and revel in that finding. That this voyage had prepared and made me ready for a long voyage through life and love and thought!

Sailing Trip
Length
Area
Elapsed Time
Average Speed
Leg 1 Milford to Westbrook
34 miles
19.2 Sq Mi
6:51:20
5mph
Leg 2 Westbrook to Greenport
30.4 miles
44.0 Sq Mi
8:37:17
4mph
Leg 3 Greenport to Milford
58.8 miles
214 Sq Mi
10:05:11
6mph

Sincerely, George and the estopa!

Last edited:

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
George,
great story and now your hooked for life!!!!!.....good luck with the Estopa and I look forward to seeing you in 2011

Nov 11, 2008
Oday 34 Noank, CT
10 days on the boat

Ok, so I'm a week late posting here. I was waiting for the pics from the other camera to show up, but I'll start with what I have. The Admiral and I hit the boat late Thursday, so after a good nights sleep we headed to the grocery store and got rum, beer, and food. While the admiral stowed the booty, I made a couple of trips for water and we were on our way. We headed out to Watch Hill, RI since family wanted to meet us for some day sails. Not a long way to go, but we were OUT. Unfortunately, the camera crapped out after the day one sunset shot so there are no photos of the first half of our vacation. Just as well as I spent most of that time sans trousers and I have no desire to cause anyone trauma. The Admiral also realized the importance of books during the 2 days of rain we had. On Wednesday we decide to come back to the marina to reprovision. The first adventure begins! As soon as we clear the channel the infamous New England Fog rolls over us. So with the Admiral on the bow with the horn in hand watching for boats and lobster pots we say hell with it, lets go all the way back. GPS is a wonderful thing. So, back in for a trip to the bookstore, laundromat, grocery store, and dinner in a restaurant. Our friends Lance and Bea meet us at the restaurant and we discuss departure times for Thursday. After a full meal and a few drinks we head back to the boat to stock her with supplies for 4. This meant that the ice boxes were full of food and we had to tie coolers do the lifelines for the important stuff. Beer.

After fueling and watering again we were off. 10 to 12 kts on a close reach made for some beautiful sailing. For about 2 hours. Then it drops to 5 kts behind us and skipper Heinz in his infinite wisdom decided to cross The Race AGAINST the current. In goes the genny and on goes the Universal. 2 hours to go about 1.5 nm. Good call. Once we clear Little Gull Island things smooth out, but the wind drops to almost nothing. So onward to Greenport motorsailing the whole way. After a day of sailing we miss the little mark that says priv on the charts marking the entrance to Sterling Harbor. So we sail around enjoying the sights before coming back to the proper channel and heading up to the harbor. Having previously been quoted a price of $3.50 ft per night (x3 nights), we wanted an alternative to the marina. Lo and behold! We find town moorings for $1.00 ft. Ding ding ding. Right by the marina and real close to the town dinghy dock we settled right in to a harbor with water like glass.

The next day we head out to try a local restaurant called The Rhum Line. Food was ok and lunch prices were reasonable. After lunch we decide we have to have a drink at Claudio's Clam Bar in Claudio's Marina. This is Cigarette boat heaven for those folks that like them. Go-fast boats with 1000+ HP behind them and paint jobs worth more than a good set of sails. Oh yeah, four drinks costs $30 buck there too. Ok we did it now time to go back to see if anyone from the rOnDAYvous made it in yet. Dink in to Brewers Marina and yup. A number of O'Days are in. We decide to meet them in the pool and chat. We met 2 young guys that began their sailing life in May with an O'Day 222. 2 months experience and off they went to Greenport! Way to go guys. Friday night was spent swimming and checking out other folks boats.

Saturday morning we find the marina bathrooms unlocked! Windfall! Long, hot showers for all. We won't have to worry about the holding tank either! The women spend most of the day sunning and swimming while Lance and I socialize a bit. Unfortunately we missed out on the catered dinner due to a thankfully short illness aboard. Later that night we went back to see the guys playing guitar and enjoy the music. Great time and good music. I have to apologize to Rich now though. He really wanted me to get up and sing, but since the appropriate environmental impact statements weren't filed and safety gear not available, I found myself unable to inflict my voice upon everyone.

Sunday was a nice easy ride back. We shot through Plumb Gut with the current covering the 1.5 nm in 10 minutes. Afterward we hit the expected washing machine for a bit. The Admiral showing off her galley skills by cooking lunch in 4 - 5 foot chop. After all that it was a nice ride home.

We're waiting for the kids to move out now so we can sell the house and move aboard full time. This vacation pushed the Admiral over to the dark side. I think a couple more and she'll be chompin at the bit to move on board. I'm still waiting for pics from the other camera. I'll post as soon as I get them.

Here we go:

The Admirals works of art

The obligatory sunset photo

At the fuel dock

All the comforts of EVERYTHING

We had to move fast so this girl could take on 6000 GALLONS of fuel!

Ok, where are we going again?

Race Rock lighthouse

The admiral loving life at sea

Lance and Bea enjoying the ride

Happy skipper

Long Beach lighthouse

We're here!

The Admirals friend. A mute swan that would try to pull our towels off the lifelines to get our attention.

A home made sub that we thought was cool. According to some guys in the marina, there's all leather furniture and a 56" plasma TV inside. The bow planes move for show, but she doesn't submerge.

Chillin on the way home. (Rum, beer, and wine can do this. Children beware!)

Plum Gut lighthouse

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
We met 2 young guys that began their sailing life in May with an O'Day 222. 2 months experience and off they went to Greenport! Way to go guys.
Hey thats us!!! George and Armando! WOW scored on the town moorings. Gotta remember that for next time.

Yes spot on with Claudio's, not sure if you tried the Greenport Brewery? It's on a to do list for anyone visiting Greenport. We were there on Saturday and enjoyed an open house street party hosted by the Brewery. Get this free beer!!!

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Nov 11, 2008
Oday 34 Noank, CT
Ok, found some more pics:

We were so interested in this shabby marina (There are boats in it!) that we missed the harbor channel!

What's a bowline???

The race creeps up on us. It actually followed us for 1/2 a mile!

Cool wire bird

Poaching marina facilities

Check you pockets before you go swimming

Heading back

Crashing through Plum Gut

Status
Not open for further replies.