2010 O'day rOnDAYvous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
OK, folks, it's official. The 2010 Northeast O'day rOnDAYvous will be held...

(drum roll, please...)

July 16-18, at Brewer's Stirling Harbor Marina in Greenport, Long Island!

Think of it: A beautiful facility, a charming nautical town, and if that's not enough, Long Island Wine Country is just down the road.

Here's a link to get your summer sailing dreams fired up:

http://www.byy.com/Greenport%20Stirling%20Harbor/index.cfm

It's not too soon to start thinking about your travel plans. Hopefully, it'll keep you warm while waiting for the tundra to go away.

And it's also not too soon for rOnDAYvous veterans to work on each bringing a newbie with them to the big event. Let's make this one the best one ever (and that's a helluva tall mountain to cllmb).Now I have to get busy and post the same message on other O'day sites. See y'all in July, if not before.

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
Cool!! Just walked in from 7 hours on the groomer, and this makes me feel much better. We will be there! Don't have my new Eldridge's yet, but a freebe ENC chart viewer called Polar View shows tides and currents, and the current going through the "Gut" on Friday is favorable from 8 till about 1.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I don't think i could be ready this year. The boat, probably, but not my trailer, and i need a bigger truck.
Do people come just to look around?
keith

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 34 Ferrell, NJ MD
I'd be interested in attending by car. Can you give me any details; costs, activities, how long does it last, etc? I used to belong to an Ericson Association when I had my Ericson 30. We had a rendezvous at Brewers, and had a great time. Greenport is a neat old town and kind of fun to walk around.

Max Sandler
ODay 34
"Femme de la Mer"

Jun 2, 2004
Max,

Come by car, by boat, by dog sled, if need be. (Guess I've had my fill of snow, wouldn't you say?)

The costs are, by and large, negligible. We don't charge a fee for simply attending. Really, the only two big-ticket expense items are dockage (for those coming by boat) and a per-person share of our owners' dinner on Saturday night. If we have a rOnDAYvous t-shirt made up, orders will be taken in advance, and shirts would be distributed C.O.D. at the rOnDAYvous. The cost of the dinner and the shirt would be made be known as far as advance as the organizers can manage.

Other than that, the rOnDAYvous can be as expensive or low-rent as each attendee cares to make it. Those attending by car (at least from any distance) might also have to factor in overnight lodging. If enough people are interested, a trip to North Shore wine country might be arranged, and the cost of that would be pro-rated and announced in advance.

The rOnDAYvous runs, at least officially, from Friday to Sunday. Some arrive sooner, some stay longer. There's a dockside "pot luck" welcome bash on Friday evening (everyone kicks in something, everybody noshes), the owners' dinner on Saturday, a varying amount of talking about O'days, fixing each other's O'days, catching up with old friends and making new ones, the annual rehearsal/dockside jam by the O'day Strung-Out String Band (bring your own instrument if you want to sit in), and more. Last year, for instance, we had an afternoon inflatable dinghy race that had to be seen to be believed. (A photo from the event is included here.) In 2007 up in Milford, CT, we had a Saturday afternoon regatta that got surprisingly competitive. (Picture this: match-racing between an O'day 27, a 28 and a 40.) In other words, anything can (and does) happen.

Send me your email address (send it to pooby_99@yahoo.com) and I'll add you to the rOnDAYvous mailing list that I maintain. This way you'll get the online newsletter "The rOnDAYvous Report" and other pertinent information.

Hope to see you there. Till then, I'll keep beating the drum.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Is there a group of Oday owners that rondayvous on the Chesapeake?

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Pete,
you forgot to mention the blindfold part of the dinghy race.

Jun 2, 2004
Bob,

Strategic amnesia.

In all seriousness, though, I should also mention that we're looking into having a few seminars/workshops/presentations on different topics this time around. A little something extra for those who want more than just sitting around socializing and helping to fix other people's boats. More to come on this and other rOnDAYvous details.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Jun 2, 2004
The responses are rolling in. Don't be left out. GET YOUR BUTT (sorry -- I mean "boat") TO THE RONDAYVOUS!

See you in Greenport.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Oct 2, 2008
Looking forward to seeing you guys there. Appleman, you gotta show. If you show, i will show, and i have a long way to travel!
keith

Jun 2, 2004
Keith,

You're going to drive up from Alabama? YOU DA MAN! If anyone wants to challenge you for this year's Long Distance Voyager Award (yes, we have one -- for the furthest distance traveled to the rOnDAYvous), they have their work cut out for them.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
very cool! Since I missed last year, it will take an act of God to keep me away this year. (I will try to stay on God's good side):D

Jan 22, 2009
Oday 26 Cherokee Lake
Looking forward to seeing you guys there. Appleman, you gotta show. If you show, i will show, and i have a long way to travel!
keith
Keith,

I am in East Tn and plan on driving up as well. Not going to trailer the boat. I have a freind whom is cruising the Eastern Seaboard right now and plans to be in that area at the same time as the rOnDayvous. So I will spend a day or two aboard with them as well.

Maybe a caravan to the rOnDAYvous. That might be a first.

Looking forward to seeing other ODays especially the 26, even if its justs pics. Bring some photos. Look forward to seeing you there.

Oct 2, 2008
Keith,

I am in East Tn and plan on driving up as well. Not going to trailer the boat. I have a freind whom is cruising the Eastern Seaboard right now and plans to be in that area at the same time as the rOnDayvous. So I will spend a day or two aboard with them as well.

Maybe a caravan to the rOnDAYvous. That might be a first.

Looking forward to seeing other ODays especially the 26, even if its justs pics. Bring some photos. Look forward to seeing you there.
The great state of TN! It would be good to caravan. I may have to fly because of time constraints, but may have to walk due to money constraints!

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
WOW is this for real!!!! I am a new Oday 222 owner living in Milford CT. Definitely put me down for this. Anyone want to caravan from Milford Harbor? I plan on sailing my Oday 222 named "estopa" down. Can't wait for this!!!!

Is there any pictures or info of this event from prior years???

Jun 2, 2004
It's very much for real, now that we're up to our 8th annual rOnDAYvous! I'm glad to hear you're so enthusiastically aboard.

As for traveling from Milford, I'd say there's a very real possibility of a flotilla you could travel with. My own plans (always subject to seat-of-the-pants revision, of course) include a stopover at Milford (anchoring out in The Gulf), another stop in Westbrook (Duck Island Roads), and then the last short hop to Greenport. I'd welcome any and all company along the way.

Details about a floating caravan will be posted in a forthcoming "rOnDAYvous Report." If you want to get this priceless e-newsletter, all you have to do is send me an email address and I'll add you to the list.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

Jun 2, 2004
I should also mention that there are quite a lot of photos from previous rOnDAYvous on the Facebook "O'day Sailboat Owners" page. If you're on FB, check 'em out.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Thanks, I may take you up on your offer. Depending on whats going on with my schedule I may follow you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.