2009 Haulout Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
About 2 weeks ago we completed a haul out, the first since 2005. We had the following work done:

Clean and paint bottom
Remove and fill in 2 unused through hulls
Replace engine mounts and prop shaft stuffing box
Replace shaft key and clean up Flex-o-fold propeller
Polish top sides

Of interest:
The old engine mounts, at least 9 years old, were found to have “bulges” in the rubber that indicates they were on the path to delaminating. Weirdly they were of two different stiffness’s (100 and 150) and more weirdly the similar ones were installed diagonally opposite each other. This gave rise to some fore and aft vibration, especially at idle.
Now the mounts have been replaced we sense the engine is smoother but not hugely so.

One fear I had is that the propeller/shaft key (¼” X ¼” X 2” bronze) might be wearing, leading to the possibility of the propeller slipping on the shaft and ultimately being lost, so I requested that it be replaced. As it turned out there was no sign of any wear on the shaft key.

After the engine work was completed the yard put the boat back in the water for 36 hours before doing any engine alignment. Our job manager told me that if you strung a taught line from pulpit to pushpit while she was on the hard, the line could sag up to 6 inches down in the middle after she had settled in the water.

We pay a diver to clean the bottom and change zincs (if needed) every 3 months. The comment from the yard is that it has been worth it as the bottom could have gone a while longer before needing attention. (It is also really nice to sail with a clean hull).

I felt that the $500 “professional” topside polish was really no better than I could have done myself but it did save me time.

We had a hole for a through hull under the vanity, just above the through hull that is actually in use for the vanity drain. I could see no purpose for it, or another in the bottom just forward of the keel so I had them removed.

Attachments

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
many yanmars use two different mounts on the engine. it is common to have 150 on one end and 100 on the other. they should not be installed with both on one side. or the wrong ones on the wrong end of the engine.

that being said i dont think it will make a lot of difference if they are the same as long as the engine remains stable while loads are applied.

sounds like they did a good job. what model boat is it?

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
six inch bend

you can hang a h37c by the ends for a month and not get any bend and never 6 inches. The boat is built like a brick out house. what year is yours?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Re: six inch bend

Ed, she is a 1983 model. We still have the 3QM30F engine.

Which reminds me - I remember being told that parts for the transmisson were not longer available and mentioned that to my job manager. He said no, if it is the Kanzaki unit there is no problem with spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.