2009 Bavaria Vision 40 fuel gauge not working

elink

Sep 5, 2023
Bavaria Vision 40 Maple Bay
The fuel gauge wasn't working and I suspect the sender. There was voltage at the gauge and inlet voltage at the sender. I did an impedance test on the sensor and tested as open circuit in every combination of the 3 wires with both polarities. The unit is about 37cm long (14"). I am thinking of just buying a new matched set of gauge and sender. Has anyone else tried anything similar?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The gauge is probably OK. The senders, especially the senders that have a floating arm are known to fail eventually. The KUS senders seem to last longer and are more accurate. You'll need to know whether you have a European gauge or an American gauge, the resistance is different which will affect the gauge reading.

elink

Sep 5, 2023
Mine didn't have a floating arm. It appeared to be the type with a float on a shaft, however the float was missing when I opened it up. I suspect the previous owner must have lost it when he was working on it. There was no mechanism to keep the float captive.

elink

Sep 5, 2023
Update -- I installed a RUPSE brand matched pair, sender and gauge. It's early days but it appears to work well.