2008 Hunter 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

We are looking at purchasing a new Hunter 31. How well does it sail in light and heavy airs (non furling main version with a deep keel)? Are there any major problems with the new model that we need to be aware of? On a more positive note, what are its strong points? Actual experiences from existing owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

C

Coast Awhile

Hunter 31

Typically a deep keel & non furling main will sail better. We have a Hunter 310 - wing keel and furling main. We sail the Cheaspake Bay and light to do short overnight sailing (Gunkhole Sailing)and these spots are shallow, in fact much of the Bay is shallow entering Marinas, including slips. The furling main is a first for us - We can adjust both main and jib from the cockpit and love it. Last point - the Hunter main is the drive sail (Big) and jib is small. We have found when the wind picks up we reduce the main. Beats the heck of leaving the cockpit and reefing the main. Good Luck - We love the boat.

S

Salty Dog

Can't Beat the H31

I have a 2006 H31 and absolutely love it. It has a shoal draft keel, because sailing on the Cheasapeak you definitely need one, and a furling main. She sails well in light and heavy winds. The furling main takes some getting used to as it doesn't have battens but after you get the hang of it, things are great. There are times though that I would much rather have a regular main instead of the furling main. When you need to reef when you run into gusts, it takes too long with a furling main where as with a regular main, you can drop it almost immediately. Although, with a furling main, your reefing points are indefinite so there are some benefits with the furling main. Salty Dog s/v Carina II www.svcarina.net

J

John

Headroom

Thanks for the feedback. The brochures say that the 31 has 6"4' headroom. Is that in the galley area and the head or only in the salon? If not, what is the headroom in the galley area and the salon? Thanks again.

S

Salty Dog

Headroom

The 6'4" headroom is pretty much througout the boat. I'm 6' and haven't had to duck except going through the hatch into the bow birth or getting into the aft birth. Salty Dog s/v Carina II www.carina.net

F

fupls

I have a 2007 H31

My boat has a deep keel and non-furling main which can sail up to 20 degree head to wind nicely. However the standard small jib and B&R rig will slow you down while going down wind. If you want to do single handed, you have to order the optional helm steering package for jib w/winch and outboard track, otherwise, it is hard to reach the jib sheet from the pedestal. Unfortunately, this optional outboard track does not give good angle to the stardard small jib. Also, the design of removal helm seat (transom seat) is too inconvenient to put it on and off. Anyway, the overall performance of the boat is very good. Price-to-value is fine.

C

crazy dave condon

Salty Dog, are you keeping your 2006 31

John, if you are in the area around Dalghren, email Salty Dog. He is moving inland and I think he is selling his boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.