2008 Beneteau 43: In Mast Furling Main Replacement

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
Howdy! the in mast furling main on our 2008 Beneteau 43 is past due for replacement. To insure this we recently improperly furled it in such a way that we wrapped and snapped one of the vertical battens. after a few hours up the mast we were able to free it and remove the sail. Not before we ripped it.
What is current state of design for in mast furling main sails? Are vertical battens still used? What is best material? Can anyone recommend a the best sailmakers to connect with about this?
thanks,
DPW

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Always help sell the “honey, we need a new sail” when the old one is in tatters!

I experienced this recently on my O’Day 322, which I think had the original main sail. I was contemplating a new main sail, but not getting a lot of support from the Admiral. But an inopportune jibe, and a 4 foot rip in the sail fixed that....almost like I planned it that way :rolleyes:

I can’t help you with specs for that sail though. Did you contact the sailmaker that made the original and see what they recommend?

Good luck,

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our 2014 Beneteau 37 came with vertical battens. Apparently they used newly designed pockets that were supposed to be more robust than previous designs, but they still get small tears and need repairs every couple years. I wouldn’t give up having the roller furling, or give up the extra roach area from the battens, but I do wish there was a better pocket design.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
"What is current state of design for in mast furling main sails? Are vertical battens still used? (yes they are but rarely see them) What is best material? (see UK Halsey's recommendation below). Can anyone recommend a the best sailmakers to connect with about this?'"

The stock UK Halsey sails on my Hunter 386 and Hunter 46 in fast furling main were un-battened. I purchased a battened main sail for my 2004 Hunter 386 to improve its shape. Worked well. Just received a quote for new sails for my 2005 Hunter 46 from UK Halsey and they quoted me a battened sail., albeit I might go for a non-battened sail to mitigate the risk of getting stuck in the mast. The proposed sail is Challenge CHMD High Modulus 11.93 ounce Decron with blue water finish for performance off shore cruising.

As far as sailmakers there are many sailmakers. I like the ones that come to your boat, measure and advise on the best sail shape, material, etc. I recently inquired new sails from UK Halsey (supplied original sails and purchased sails for my last 2 sail boats from them) and Quantum (local in my marina).

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
Howdy! the in mast furling main on our 2008 Beneteau 43 is past due for replacement. To insure this we recently improperly furled it in such a way that we wrapped and snapped one of the vertical battens. after a few hours up the mast we were able to free it and remove the sail. Not before we ripped it.
What is current state of design for in mast furling main sails? Are vertical battens still used? What is best material? Can anyone recommend a the best sailmakers to connect with about this?
thanks,
DPW
I replaced my sails on my Beneteau 343 Last year. the battens are still vertical but much thinner than the originals. Things are far better with the new sails.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
I am so happy I have what is called the "traditional main"! I guess reefing is a lost art these days.

Apr 25, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Lake Champlain
DPW, I recently bought a 2013 Oceanus 45 with a tall rig and just ordered a new Main from North Sails. The original mainsail was way out of shape and was starting to give me problems going in and out. Too much material for the slot. Not to mention poor sailing quality. A new well made main will be flatter and built better than the original equipment Neil Pryde crap that comes with the boat. This what I ordered:

Mast Furling Mainsail w/Battens NPL Tour Xi Grey
NorLam Xi09 Grey CRG
P: 16.360m
E: 5.430m
Area: 49.76m2

Extra Qty Price (USD)
Vertical Battens 4 $541.00
RF Main UV Clew or Head
(WeatherMax PSA) 1 $0.00
Clew Block 1 $0.00
Insignia 1 $0.00
Trim Stripes 3 $65.00
Item Total (including Capacity Adjustment) $5,742.09

A lot of $$$ but you get what you pay for. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Rich

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
DPW, I recently bought a 2013 Oceanus 45 with a tall rig and just ordered a new Main from North Sails. The original mainsail was way out of shape and was starting to give me problems going in and out. Too much material for the slot. Not to mention poor sailing quality. A new well made main will be flatter and built better than the original equipment Neil Pryde crap that comes with the boat. This what I ordered:

Mast Furling Mainsail w/Battens NPL Tour Xi Grey
NorLam Xi09 Grey CRG
P: 16.360m
E: 5.430m
Area: 49.76m2

Extra Qty Price (USD)
Vertical Battens 4 $541.00
RF Main UV Clew or Head
(WeatherMax PSA) 1 $0.00
Clew Block 1 $0.00
Insignia 1 $0.00
Trim Stripes 3 $65.00
Item Total (including Capacity Adjustment) $5,742.09

A lot of $$$ but you get what you pay for. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Rich
Don't count on a North Sail being better then a Neil Pryde, certainly wasn't my experience, with 2 new North Sails, never again, both were junk!