2007 Hunter 2007 Rudder and Tiller alignment

Apr 11, 2022
Hunter 27 27 Dallas
Our boat went through a freak storm couple months where the marina suffered extensive damaged. Our boat was mostly spared. We had to do repairs on the deck etc. Get a new sail etc. We recently noticed Rudder and Tiller is off alignment and boat no longer steers straight when the tiller is centered. I have not seen detailed diagram of the rudder set up on the manual we had. Is it possible to align tiller and rudder. Inspecting the boat in the lake was hard, there seem to be no physical damage.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Isn’t it possible to find the point where the tiller attaches to the rudder post and adjust it?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Many things may be an issue?

1) Rudder position sensor
2) Cables used for steering.
3) Rudder damage.

This is from the Owners manual dated 2008.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 11.34.08 AM.png

Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
OP keeps saying tiller….somI am assuming he does not have wheel steering.

I think @Don S/V ILLusion has the best “next step”. Look at where the tiller is connected to the rudder shaft and see if anything is bent…or can be adjusted.

Greg

Apr 11, 2022
Hunter 27 27 Dallas
The boat is 2008 Hunter 27.. It has a tiller. Looks solidly built.. It has pins and bolts assuming used to attach it to the rudder post. Without any diagrams hard to know.. Unfortunately, operations manual has the picture above for the wheel based boat. We are planning to haul out this week to see we can actually see anything bent. My assumption was if the rudder post is bent it will not move normally, and we cannot see any damage to the rudder. It seems to move ok. It is just off center. Definitely planning to inspect rudder post to see if we can figure where it is attached. Maybe there is some sort of clamp used to attaching to the post where it slipped a little due to repeated banging probably

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It has a tiller. Looks solidly built.. It has pins and bolts assuming used to attach it to the rudder post.
Most likely attaching like the Emergency Tiller. If you can lift your Tiller up, to store it, then no bolts attach it.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.14.01 PM.png

By the way..
I have become a rudder expert on those Hunter style rudders.

I can help you access rudder damage.;)

Jim...

Apr 11, 2022
Hunter 27 27 Dallas
Most likely attaching like the Emergency Tiller. If you can lift your Tiller up, to store it, then no bolts attach it.

View attachment 216709

By the way..

Jim...
Thanks I think I saw that diagram, it might belong to

View attachment 216709

By the way..

Jim...
here is the picture, we can only see the top. Not sure about three bolts. Maybe that can loosed to adjust

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok I am doing a bit of guessing, but here is what I see.

IMG_5557.jpeg

Looks like the Tiller arm would be pointing to the Port side and, hidden from view, but against the rudder angle limit.

If you move your rudder, by hand, to amid ships, would the Tiller arm be amidships too?

Guessing now from that picture, is the Rudder angle limiter bent?

The second picture [ #5551] is the Rudder Tube Enclosure.

That keeps your boat water tight and does not appear damaged.:biggrin:

Jim...

Apr 11, 2022
Hunter 27 27 Dallas
We do not think anything on the picture is bent.. It is solid steel.. We are really wondering about the there bolts.. If the can be loosen to adjust the tiller so it is aligned horizontally, so when rudder it centered and tiller is also center. It is off about 10 degrees now after the storm.. As I mentioned we did not feel any damage to the rudder.. Lake water very murky. Also we do not feel any strange vibration.... I thought any bend on the rudder or post would have some sort of feedback to the tiller... Everything else @JamesG161 you have pointed out I agree with. I assume our next step is tried to loose those three bolts see if allows some sort of adjustment.. As you mentioned I don't think rudder will drop because of the rudder stop...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I assume our next step is tried to loose those three bolts see if allows some sort of adjustment
The three bolts clamp the Rudder limit plate to the Rudder shaft.

So yes I think those will adjust the angle.

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
As you mentioned I don't think rudder will drop because of the rudder stop.
No, it is the Single bolt that hold the rudder in boat, noted in the my annotated picture.
Yes, it is part of the Rudder Angle limit plate unit.

I am trying to teach the Rudder nomenclature ;)
Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The three bolts clamp the Rudder limit plate to the Rudder shaft.

So yes I think those will adjust the angle.

Jim...
But doesn’t the through-bolt keep the rudder limiter plate and the rudder stock together….

Greg