2007 Beneteau 373 Shifter sticking forward and reverse yet not when button pushed for neutral

Jul 10, 2020
Beneteau 41.1 Cedar point, OH
2007 Beneteau 373 Shifter sticking forward and reverse yet not when button pushed for neutral. Any ideas? I have a replacement shifter mechanism yet not sure if this is a cable issue or the shifter mechanism.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Consider disconnecting the cable to isolate the problem area. With the cable disconnected, try to operate the tranny lever, cable motion, and shifter lever.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Before assuming its the shifter itself, check the throttle cable attachment point at the engine. The cable sleeve may be slipping in the clamp.
Then I would check the pushbutton itself. It may not be engaging in the detent (worn or broken button). You will probably need to remove the cover to even see it.

Jul 10, 2020
thanks for the responses
The button is at the bottom of the shifter mechanism and only needs to be pushed to move the shifter while in neutral. No button to move shifter when in gear. I'll check the cable attachment point at the engine.

GWG

May 3, 2010
Beneteau 40 LI Sound
I had the same problem and the solution was replacing the cable for the shifter. Now works fine, with little effort

Jul 10, 2020
Great! Any idea what the part number is for a 2007 Beneteau 373 yanmar 40 hp

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
You might not need a specific part number. The only variable is the length and probably available at a local marine store. The cable just has to be long enough to comfortably get from the shift lever to the gearbox, with attachment points that will work. Overall, cables like that are relatively common (lawn mower choke and throttle cables, bicycle brake and shifter cables, etc).

Jul 10, 2020
The cable was the issue. Worked great when not under load yet poorly when connected.