2006 Hunter 41 DS initial thoughts

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
So we’ve owned the boat for three weeks now and couldn’t be happier with it. For the money it’s definitely a lot of bang for the buck. She’s fast, handles well and has the interior of a small house. Since it IS our house it’s pretty perfect. I’ve ordered all new electronics, solar panels, batteries, a new main, building davits, new canvas, etc. As we plan to do extended cruises on the boat I’m simply wondering if I am missing anything? When we go I want to stay gone so I want to get it as right as I can before we take off. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Beautiful boat and one I can definitely relate to, I notice that you have no strain relief on your shore power cords in that picture, you need to tie a line from cords to one of the horizontal bars on the arch to relieve the tension on the plugs, they will last much longer that way.

Black River Sapphire.jpg

If the alternator is still stock you will want to replace that, add external programmable regulator and upgrade the belt to a serpentine arrangement.
Great site to get advice and purchase any of your charging system needs
Great how to articles and very responsive for advice

Fair winds and calm seas

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
We have a water maker, generator, wind generator and solar panels. Just need to go to port for fuel and food. I'm working on solving those two problems right now.

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
Thanks guys! The alternator issue is on my short list as I’m planning on going from lead acid to lithium. The water maker I’ll buy when we get the boat back to St. Pete. I think we’ve more or less decided to tear the couch out on the starboard side, rebuild it as a proper setee and split the space underneath with half as dry storage and the other half as an additional fridge. It’ll give the boat more space and more storage with the added benefit of a starboard sea berth. Eventually we’ll take the boat across the Atlantic so we want the space for long term provisions. Now I gotta figure out how to engineer davits; any thoughts?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There is a member of this site which did the couch removal/enhancement to their 41DS
Heres a link to that thread

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If I was outfitting to cross an ocean, I’d be looking at the hull, the mast, the rigging.
The hull beyond relying on it to hold the keel and keep the water outside the boat, it is where you drilled holes for thru hulls. I’d have them all replaced.
The mast likely has been up since the boat first launched. I’d take it down and have all fixtures refitted.

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
If I was outfitting to cross an ocean, I’d be looking at the hull, the mast, the rigging.
The hull beyond relying on it to hold the keel and keep the water outside the boat, it is where you drilled holes for thru hulls. I’d have them all replaced.
The mast likely has been up since the boat first launched. I’d take it down and have all fixtures refitted.
As to the hull, I’m reinforcing everything with Kevlar tape and epoxy and by everything I mean just that. Every tab in the bulkheads. The structural grid tabbing, the areas around the chain plates. I’m going to do my level best to make this the most bullet proof Hunter on the water today.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I have heard many times, the two best days in the life of a boat owner is the day he buys and the day he sells. When our 41 was sold and left the marina, we felt as if we lost a child. The broker sent me the last picture I have of the 41 sailing to a new home.
41 new onwer.jpg

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
I have heard many times, the two best days in the life of a boat owner is the day he buys and the day he sells. When our 41 was sold and left the marina, we felt as if we lost a child. The broker sent me the last picture I have of the 41 sailing to a new home.View attachment 196830
Why did you sell her? Looks like an awesome boat!! I mean I’m biased obviously but still.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I sold her because we bought a 2011 Hunter 50 AC. If you think the 41DS is great, which it is, the 50 is even better!

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
I sold her because we bought a 2011 Hunter 50 AC. If you think the 41DS is great, which it is, the 50 is even better!
I looked at a 50 and I know it’s an awesome boat but it was outside of our current budget. Glad to hear you sold the 41 to keep sailing on a different boat!! Fair winds.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Thanks guys! The alternator issue is on my short list as I’m planning on going from lead acid to lithium. The water maker I’ll buy when we get the boat back to St. Pete. I think we’ve more or less decided to tear the couch out on the starboard side, rebuild it as a proper setee and split the space underneath with half as dry storage and the other half as an additional fridge. It’ll give the boat more space and more storage with the added benefit of a starboard sea berth. Eventually we’ll take the boat across the Atlantic so we want the space for long term provisions. Now I gotta figure out how to engineer davits; any thoughts?
First, I'll echo the Marine How To site - definitely spend some time there. Second, hopefully you're aware that the change from lead acid to lithium will also require you to have a shore charger that is lithium capable, as well as an alternator regulator which is programmable for lithium batteries. Otherwise you'll have a short an expensive relationship with the upgrade.

Good luck!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
No problem with the Sunshine bridge, others bridges are a bit of a challenge.
Semp the 50 is a most awesome boat beautiful indeed! Congratulations. I had to chuckle about your comment on going under the Sunshine Bridge! Of all the bridges in SWFL that is the one I worry the least about. LOL. Like all bridges it is the perspective that fools you. How about the Ringling Bridge in Sarasota or the Sanibel Bridge in Ft Myers? How about draft? Any issues there? IMHO I found that the 41DS is just about the max draft and mast height to be comfortable with on the SWFL ICW. I scrapped the Matanzas Pass Bridge going under and it was a scary moment! Good luck with your new Boat!

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I love my 41 ac, the best upgrade for me was a swim plataform, then i take off the ugly sofa and put another bert there and now a can store my jennaker and my spare anchor, i put solar between the davids and now i have shade on my swim plataform. I manage to scueeze 4 lp 16 trojan 6 volt baterries under the seat and then my alternator started to keep eating my belts because is allways overload, i just installed the Balmar belt system. Next will be driplees shaft and folding prop. I cannot do more than 4 to 4.5 knots on long 24 hrs passages or more and i hope to improve that. I have a big 13 foot dinghy with a 25 hp two stoke under the boom, etc. etc.