2006 Hunter 33 Steering Maintenance

LVGS

Apr 8, 2018
Hunter 33 Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to locate a steering maintenance guide for the rack and pinion system on our Hunter 33. Prior to purchasing the boat several months ago, it had not moved from its slip for at least 3 years and as a consequence, the steering is extremely stiff.

Unfortunately, the service guide that was to have been included in the owner’s packet has disappeared. Any advice or resources that would guide me through the servicing of the system would be VERY much appreciated.

If the stiffness of the wheel can be attributed to something other than the need for servicing/lubricating, that would also be helpful to understand.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
If the same as my 36 than slide your floor out and check the ends not getting rusting and I spread lube around
to help keep rusting.
Did you check the wheel knob is not tight and do you have auto,never had any problems so never needed to do
any thing than above.
Nick

LVGS

Apr 8, 2018
Hunter 33 Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island
If the same as my 36 than slide your floor out and check the ends not getting rusting and I spread lube around
to help keep rusting.
Did you check the wheel knob is not tight and do you have auto,never had any problems so never needed to do
any thing than above.
Nick
Thanks Nick, I’m hoping it requires nothing more than lubrication.