2005 Hunter 36 Stainless Steel Arch

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
Hi. We're going to transport our Hunter 36 from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay. The transport company says that it's too tall to transport with the stainless arch and that I need to take it down. Has anyone done this before? How heavy is that arch. Can it be done without a crane?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A couple of beer drinking buddies should be able to handle the arch nicely. Maybe 100 lbs. at best.

What's uncertain is: what did the original dealer use as an adhesive on the joint when assembled. The boats are shipped without the arch attached. My FG arch was installed with 3M 5200 and is NEVER coming off again. As your arch is SS, you may be able to use heat as an assist if the adhesive is 5200. Don't know of anything that attacks 5200.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Mine was dropped when it was shipped from Angus Yachts, Port Credit to Penetang, years ago. I wasn't there when they dropped it, but it is possible. Arch had been installed for 2 years, so sealant was relatively fresh.

BTW, where are you headed in the Bay

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
The Trent-Severn Waterway would be an alternative to pulling the arch. I imagine it would be a beautiful trip this time of year!

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hopefully it's not 5200 ..... you can't buy marine formula by Debond on Canada. Best I can do is captain phab:
Mine was dropped when it was shipped from Angus Yachts, Port Credit to Penetang, years ago. I wasn't there when they dropped it, but it is possible. Arch had been installed for 2 years, so sealant was relatively fresh.

BTW, where are you headed in the Bay
We're going to Midland - Bayport Marine :)

Last edited:

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
The Trent-Severn Waterway would be an alternative to pulling the arch. I imagine it would be a beautiful trip this time of year!
If only I could take another couple of weeks off :) Took a lot of time off this summer to do pour bucket list on lake Ontario!

We were thinking about next spring sailing it up but we want to have the entire season there next year

Sep 20, 2006
If only I could take another couple of weeks off :) Took a lot of time off this summer to do pour bucket list on lake Ontario!

We were thinking about next spring sailing it up but we want to have the entire season there next year

That was exactly our dilemma when we bought. Preferred to spend the time off up in the Bay rather than navigating the Trent in the early cold spring.

We spent 7 years in Penetang, now up at Killbear. Be sure to get the strip charts and the larger scale charts and study them over the winter. Biggest difference between Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario is in the Bay when you see open water do not ever assume you can go there. Lots of areas of wide open water and a narrow navigable route..... Of course a good chartplotter as well, but the charts give you better bigger picture.

Also get the Ports book for Georgian Bay. It's invaluable for up here.

And prepare yourself for the best cruising area by far.

Feel free to hit me up with questions on the area. You'll have plenty when you get up there

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
That was exactly our dilemma when we bought. Preferred to spend the time off up in the Bay rather than navigating the Trent in the early cold spring.

We spent 7 years in Penetang, now up at Killbear. Be sure to get the strip charts and the larger scale charts and study them over the winter. Biggest difference between Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario is in the Bay when you see open water do not ever assume you can go there. Lots of areas of wide open water and a narrow navigable route..... Of course a good chartplotter as well, but the charts give you better bigger picture.

Also get the Ports book for Georgian Bay. It's invaluable for up here.

And prepare yourself for the best cruising area by far.

Feel free to hit me up with questions on the area. You'll have plenty when you get up there
Thanks Scott. We've chartered a lot in the North channel so we have our ports book :) Great advice on the charts .... we'll definitely invest.

will reach out once we get there.

Jan 4, 2006
5200 solvents:
Don't know the writer from Adam or more importantly, who he's associated with. Marine Formula by DeBond Corp. is worth a gamble (anything is) but as far as acetone goes, no effect at all on 5200. Your choice.

If none of those work, there's always :

1632535828113.png

Quick, effective, however a little messy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave. There is a product called Remove. It helped me to remove the window frames on my boat. The sealant adhesive was thought to be 5200. It was tenacious. When i got the remove on the sealant after about 15 minutes the cailk could be scraped off. Expensive but it was the best option.

A Heat gun is also an option. 5200 softens when heat is applied.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hi everyone. Got my heat gun and gonna try it tomorrow JS.

For this who have taken down their SS arch, did Hunter use screws, or is there a nut and bolt that I need to worry about?

I don't think there's access to the bottom side of the deck from inside the cabin, not without pulling the ceiling apart. So hopefully just screws. Or ideally just a backing plate.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Nuts and bolts. There is an access panel in the aft cabin to get at the underside of that plate.

Jan 4, 2006
Don't get the heat gun too close to the C-4 adhesive stripper.

Good luck and take pictures of it coming apart if possible. I have never seen an article like this on the site. Would be invaluable in the archives.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
ok it's down, and the boat was transported yesterday to Bayport Yachting Centre in Midland. Unfortunately didn't get a picture of it coming down .... .that sucker is heavy. A multi person job for sure. 4 in this case. I will take pictures when I'm up there again in the next couple of days.

The bolts were gooped up with 4200, so came out ok. As Scott said there are 4 nuts and bolts per post, through the deck with a backplate on the underside. 1 post is accessible through the access panel in the aft cabin, and the other 3 are accessible through the port lazarette and the two aft lockers.

While the screws were (mercifully) gooped with 4200, the guys at Angus Yachts used 5200 on the feet of the arch ..... uggggh. The heat gun didn't seem to do much through the stainless which was a surprise. Only way to get it free was a mallet and metal wedge. The guys from MacRae Marine in Hamilton did a great job with this. I highly recommend them. No damage at all to the gelcoat.

Once the posts were freed, it was a matter of disconnecting the wiring for the speaker pod (just a simple connector), and laying down the arch and securing it for transport.

Covered the holes through the deck with shrink wrap tape to keep everything dry.

Next job will be to scrape the 5200 off of the deck and arch footings. Will try the heat gun again as well as a couple of adhesive removers (including Re-Mov as suggested). Practical Sailor says that Marine Formula by DeBond Corp is the best but you can't buy that in Canada for some reason. I think they got in trouble with product mislabelling and are banned for now. Will let you know how all of this goes and will post some pictures.

And then it'll need to go up again.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.