2005 H36 Head Switch Out

Zenbio

Feb 19, 2009
Macgregor 25 Orlando
Hunter 2005 36ft

I’ve been reading the Fourm for the last few hrs. But I still have some questions. I own a Hunter H36 2005 with a manual toilet. I am going to be charting the boat in SW Florida. I want reliable and simple to use for someone who doesn’t know how to work a marine head. I want to remove the cheap original manual head with a SeaEra or SeaEra QC electronic flush toilet. I want my charter guest to be able to just push a button like my airplane. I was going to go with a fresh water system. However if I did, I would need to add a higher GPM pump Under the galley sink and of course run a fresh water line from the sink to the head. I will also need to wire up the toilet. However now I’m thinking of staying with the saltwater/Raw water and instead adding the Raritan Electro Scan system. It looks like I can plumb it inline under the aft cabin bed where the 1 1/2 hose already runs. I found some wires coiled up next to the fuel tank, not sure why hunter put them there, that just fits across to that compartment. I was thinking of just keeping the current holding tank and let the treated waste sit in the tank when in a Non pump zone and just pumping the treated waste out of the tank overboard when in the proper area. The questions I have are: How did hunter originally plumb and wire up their electric heads? I don’t see a breaker on the panel so I’m assuming they didn’t pre-wire up the head area with wire? There seems to be no access to the bilge area under the shower pans, am I missing something? I have one + and - set of 10 gage wire along with three(pink orange and yellow) 14 gage wires that were ran by hunter to just above the fuel tank and then coiled up. Does anyone know what they are for? I want to reduce smell of course. If I stick with fresh water, I have to inject salt, in order for the Electro Scan to work. So I’m assuming I’ll just have to stick with Raw water.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Almost all charter companies use the cheapest (typically Jabsco) manual toilets because charter customers rarely pay any attention to what can and cannot go through a marine toilet--especially when it comes to wet wipes , which results in a LOT of clogged and abused toilets....It costs them less to replace the toilet pump than to repair it. So I suggest you talk with a few of them to learn why you shouldn't even consider an expensive electric macerating toilet for a boat going into charter or even THINK of adding a treatment device!

--Peggie

Last edited:

Zenbio

Feb 19, 2009
Macgregor 25 Orlando
Thanks for your reply Peggie.

So are thinking I should not go electric or you are suggesting I just go with a cheap electric flush? I definitely want something simple to use. Something my guest can just use. Wouldn’t the macerating toilet help with the occasional clump of TP? Right now the waste goes into the holding tank and then I have a non-macerating bellow pump to pump overboard when I’m able. I hear what your saying about people tossing all kinds of stuff down there. Right now I instruct guest to not even put TP down it, and have a trash can right by the head, but also realize it’s only a matter of time. I am also concerned with oder, noise of the unit and having to Pumpout pretty regularly. The boat is in my back yard not a marina, so pump out isn’t as easy. I am new to this type of head, I haven’t had the pleasure yet to dig crap out of one, and of course, not looking forward to fixing it all the time.
Thanks again for your guidance.

Zach

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
I have a Raritan Electro Scan on my 2003 356 courtesy of the PO and I really like that we have the option. It is mounted just behind the aft bulkhead in the port side stern locker on a built up wood platform that makes it level and outputs over to the holding tank. The electrical connections are to the control panel are on the bulkhead and the LCD panel is inside the lazzerette on the front wall. As we are in the Chesapeake we run the 2 gallon salt tank to get to the correct salinity.

Should note we run a regular size manual head.

Jeff

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm thinking you should stick with a cheap MANUAL toilet. I'd estimate that landlubber guests--friends!--are responsible for at least 90% of toilet problems...Even friends can be guilty of "just one won't hurt" when it comes to wet wipes, which WILL NOT make it through the macerator blade in a toilet. Bareboat charterers are guaranteed to disregard instructions. You really need to talk to some charter companies--not only about toilets, but about everything else that charterers do. that costs 'em time and money.
--Peggie

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
"There seems to be no access to the bilge area under the shower pans, am I missing something?"

Having replaced my 2009 H36's sanitation hose from head to holding tank this past winter (with Peggy's advice - thanks again), I can verify that I found no access to the bilge area under the shower pan. If someone else knows differently, I'm anxious to hear. A wi-fi endoscope comes in really handy for looking into that area when working through hose routing problems, etc.