2004 Hunter 326 Edison Helm

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 326 DCYC
I was checking to see if anyone has had to remove the 4 mounting bolts that hold the helm to the cockpit floor. It has 4 bolts/screws going into the deck and 3 are loose and will not tighten. I have not been able to pull them out and do not know if they are machine screws or self taping screws or if there is a backing plate or nut embedded in the floor of the cockpit. I did not want to damage it more by extracting them so I was looking for someone who has gone through this before. Please see pic attached with screws in question.
Thanks
Chris Dickey

Attachments

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
Chris- I don't know if your set up is like mine on the 33.5 but I believe you can remove the section just aft of the helm (to the right in your photo) and access those fasteners- I can on my boat and no I haven't had to take those screws out

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 326 DCYC
Chris- I don't know if your set up is like mine on the 33.5 but I believe you can remove the section just aft of the helm (to the right in your photo) and access those fasteners- I can on my boat and no I haven't had to take those screws out
Yes, I can but it does not give you any access to the 4 screws.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Try the rear berth ceiling access panel. There should be one on each side of the ceiling hump.
If that didn't help, you will need to remove the rear bulkhead and use a mirror to look back to forward.
You'll be at rather odd position.

Ken Y

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
I've had to remove those in the past to run new wires. You can reach them as Ken states from the aft berth inspection covers. There was a lot of 4200 around the bolts and nuts as a water seal. I used butyl tape to reseal everything when completed, still dry.

Mar 17, 2020
Hunter 306 North Vancouver
Hi Chris
Have you had a chance to unmount the Edison pedestal?
I have Hunter 306 with the same pedestal and need to unmount it to run new wires. I'm wondering how hard it is to unmount the pedestal and put it back. I search for information on how the helm and rudder are connected (I think there are chains inside) but no luck so far. I want to avoid a situation where I can't put it back the way it was...
Thanks!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hi Chris
I have Hunter 306 with the same pedestal and need to unmount it to run new wires. I'm wondering how hard it is to unmount the pedestal and put it back. I search for information on how the helm and rudder are connected (I think there are chains inside) but no luck so far. I want to avoid a situation where I can't put it back the way it was...
Thanks!
Edson has some good videos.
This one might ? help.

Mar 17, 2020
Hi, Richard,
Thanks for the link. Looks like it is not a simple job.:confused: The pedestal mounted on a separate panel as shown in Chris's picture. Hope it makes the job easier.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 326 DCYC
Hi Chris
Thanks!
No, it was easy. The bolts are in the ceiling in the berth under the cockpit. Just take off the two access panels on the port and starboard. Very easy access.

Attachments

Mar 17, 2020
Hi Chris, Thanks!
Yes. I have the same access panels and it should not be difficult to remove the four bolts.
I'm not sure if you need to remove the pedestal from the cockpit floor. My concern is that step. Based on Edison's instruction video, it's not easy (at least for me) to remove the pedestal, run the wires for a chartplotter through the guard pipe, then put the pedestal back on the cockpit floor.