2003 Hunter 270 DIY Yard Time!

Dec 26, 2020
Nordex Nord 12 pinellas
I am getting my Hunter 270 pulled out for a little DIY session in the coming weeks. I need some suggestions, best practices or if you have an informative DIY method / video I would appreciate the help!

1. Replacing your rub rail. So the hunter 270 is a 2 system rub rail. I need to replace both. Does anyone have good info on DIY'ing this? I have both material on order from hunters website.
2. Wax / Polish top deck & sides. Recommend a specific material? What's best practice for this activity?
3. The rudder shaft where the bolts go through the plate and secure to the boat i see some 1/8" movement in the piece. I am resecuring it and refiberglassing the back to strengthen the rudder. Any suggesstions on this?
4. Anyone else have any recommendations on what I should work on while the boat is out? :) General maintance stuff that is easiest done out of water?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........2. Wax / Polish top deck & sides. Recommend a specific material? What's best practice for this activity?...........4. Anyone else have any recommendations on what I should work on while the boat is out? :) General maintance stuff that is easiest done out of water?
Nice work list.............looks like you really take care of your sailboat and it shows for your cockpit photo!!

2. Depends if you have oxidation..............if you have oxidation see post #2 in this thread Removing Oxidation | Sailboat Owners Forums then start with step 1, if not then start with step 3 and/or follow post #3 in the same thread.

Step 1: Sanding. Start by using 1200 grit sandpaper to get the really rough oxidation off of the paint followed by 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper.
Step 2: Hard Buff With Rubbing Compound of your choice. On a wool buffing wheel put rubbing compound on the surface.
Step 3: Buff/Polish with your favorite products.
Step 4: Admire Your Work!!

4. What comes to mind, and depends on whether you have the optional inboard engine, in no specific order are:
  • thru-hull inspection and replacement if necessay and if you have any
  • waterline stripe replacement
  • bottom anti-fouling paint
  • anode replacement
  • stuffing box adjustment or replacement, if you have one
  • shaft, strut, propelle, cutlass bearing inspection
  • Refer to this article for a comprehensive list Quick Haul Out ChecklistCommuter Cruiser | Commuter Cruiser

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
How many places were affected on the run rail? Photos of each. Repaired some on that model as a dealer who sold the most , introduced boat, etc. wait till I see what you have and talk with you. Now retired

Photo of loose rudder piece please

Let’s start there. They know me very well at the forum store