2000 Hunter Passage 450 (refit help)

Shand

Oct 22, 2019
Not sure Sailboat FL
We have recently acquired a Hunter Passage 450 from a family that was living aboard. We looked at the boat new it needed a large refit. We were living in MO and decided it was time to get cruising so we sold our house and all/most of our things to move aboard this boat. The boat is located in the FL Keys. Now with this virus we can’t get to the boat but would like to start ordering things we need.
Is there a Hunter 450 Passage owner that would be willing to take some measurements of cushions, areas for cushions, stove ect. So that while sitting at my daughters house I can work on some projects. OR If anyone knows where I can find things such as measurement, model number ect. Please let me know.
Shannon

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
While not responsive to your question, you can enter the Keys if you are a resident which is defined to include live-aboards. Friends of our had no problem getting there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At least in regard to Hurricane Irma you needed a pass, stating your residency location to enter the keys. I suspect they are using that system again. I don't know if or how that would apply to a boat. But I would try to see if you can get a pass online.

Shand

Oct 22, 2019
Not sure Sailboat FL
Even with a pass they are not taking people in any of the slips. And we can’t pick up the heat exchanger because the shop is closed.

AmyH

Apr 14, 2020
Hunter 450 Rockwall TX
We have a 2001 Hunter Passage 450. Would be happy to help. We are new to the forum too. I do have some cushions we are no longer using and can take pics or dimensions for you.

Shand

Oct 22, 2019
Not sure Sailboat FL
Wow thank you!! That would be super helpful. Why aren’t you using them?
How do you like you boat?
We haven’t even been able to spend but a night on ours with this virus. Will you guys be doing a refit? My email is shannondardar@icloud.com and my cell is +19856856942 if you would like to chat and share boat info.

Shannon Dardar

Joel

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter P456 Lake Texoma
Hi Amy. We live in Allen TX and have a 2002 P456 on Texoma (Cedar Mills Marina). Where is your boat located?

Joel

AmyH

Apr 14, 2020
Hunter 450 Rockwall TX
Joel, we are currently on Lake Ray Hubbard in Rowlett/Rockwall. I am sure Bryan would love to connect with another owner. His email is brynamy@gmail.com.

Mar 17, 2019
Hunter 450 Passage Chicago, 31st Harbor
Hi @Shannon, I've had a 1998 450 passage for a number of years now. It is just a fantastic boat. I have a pdf version of the manual but they leave a little to be desired. Let me know any specific questions you have. Also, it seems i can't upload the pdf here, but let me know if you'd like it and we'll figure out a way to share it

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Hi everybody, new to the forum. Very exited, we just signed last week end the purchase contract subject to survey and sea trial for a 450 1997 In Florida. Survey in 20 days. As a family of three with our son and the cat, We want to live aboard completely off grid for the next 6 months in the Bahamas. Has anybody got recommendation what to look for well known problems or what to check? The genoa is original as the standing rigging ! Any advice for the replacement, brand, type of material, company ? Would a code 0 instead of the genoa be a good idea? There is no spinnaker. Is it difficult to add a forestay for a Jib or a storm sail ? We have noticed many cracks on the gel coat and the arch. How to best repair them? Any danger for the deck which I believed is cored? Would love to chat with owners of the same boat. Best regards Thaelia

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhm. A lot of questions - each opening issues. I'm not an owner of the same boat so I guess I shouldn't respond.
But this is SBO and you get responses whether you want them or not.
The standing rigging is 24 years old. That's timing out. The Genoa doesn't need to be that fancy for a cruising boat. A well shaped beefy Dacron sail could serve for years.
Adding a forestay is a little complicated because you usually can't just attach it to the deck. You need to re-enforce the deck underneath the deck. Basically you need something as strong as a chainplate.
I think a Code 0 is not a great sail for a cruising boat. It has a relatively narrow range of usefulness. Opinions differ but it wouldn't be my first choice for an off the wind sail. I'd more likely look at a asymmetric spinnaker of some sort. A sailmaker could advise best about the specifics of the sail since they vary quite a bit. It depends a lot on how you expect to sail.
Cracks in the gel coat and arch are another subject. If they are just cracks in the Gel Coat that isn't unusual in a 24 year old boat. They usually occur in areas that are stressed. The question is whether the underlying laminate is damaged. A surveyor can help sort that out.
It is notable that Hunter abandoned the fiberglass arch for a stainless arch. Think about that.
'

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
Thank you Shemandr for your input. Do you know what is the best way to repair the Gel coat cracks?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If the cracks are just gel coat I wouldn't repair them at all. If the cracks go into the fiberglass laminate underneath the gel coat, I would grind them out, feather the edges, fill with either thickened epoxy resin for small ones or tape and resin for larger ones. Smooth and paint. I have never been able to fill cracks with gel coat repair kits and get acceptable results.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You don't have to fix gelcoat cracks as shemandr says, they are cosmetic as long as the fiberglass is solid. If you'd like to repair them, this is an excellent video (along with many others from Andy at boatworks):

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A very very good video. Imagine doing that on a whole deck. Yikes! That is a lotta work. But the results were excellent.

Oct 10, 2021
Hunter 450 2 Fort Pierce
A great video, Thank you. What a work of art! Unthinkable on a whole deck… Any rigger that somebody would recommend to get an estimate and change the rigging for the 450 Passage? Boat is in Fort Pierce in Florida.