2000 Hunter 340

May 21, 2018
Hunter 340 San Diego
Hi all, I picked up a Hunter 340 earlier this year. The head works, but when we flush there's frequently an odor in the stateroom. There must be a hose that runs from the head (thru the stateroom) to the holding tank. I read somewhere that the hoses should be replaced (every once in a while) because they wear out - is that right?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hoses--not all, but some, especially the inexpensive single walled flex PVC--can definitely become permeated with odor and it sounds like that's the source of your odor. And yep, there's definitely a hose that runs from the toilet to the tank...another one that runs from the tank to the deck pumpout fitting, and a third smaller one--the vent line--from the top of the tank (or a side or end AT the top) to a thru-hull (USCG regs require that all waste tanks be vented the OUTside of the boat).

At the risk of being accused of shameless self-promotion (people who've been hanging out here solving problems for 20+ years are allowed to get away with a little of that once in a while)...I have to agree with Dave's recommendation to buy my book--which not only deals with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't--or even the ones it does.

It's always available from the sbo.com store (see link in my signature below), but they've just begun offering signed copies for the holidays...order your book(s) from sbo.com...they send me the orders, I sign and mail 'em from my office.

--Peggie

Levin

Apr 7, 2007
Hunter 340 San Diego
Yachtsman,

Welcome to the 340 club... it's a great boat. As for the head and the odor that can definitely be a challenge on this boat. I've tried a lot of things over the years to fix this problem with only limited success until recently. I've tried a number of additives, chemicals, and even a vent filter (that seemed to help more than anything else to that point, but didn't fully resolve the problem). I never tried Peggie's suggestion to make the vent hose shorter and straighter (the 340's vent hose goes almost straight up which doesn't lead to good airflow). I didn't want to put another hole in the side of the boat to achieve this so I admit I don't know if that would have made a difference.

Now as to what did work: Installing a Raritan fresh head. This is a head that uses freshwater from your apple 75 gallon fresh water tank (340s have amazing tankage for a boat their size). It's actually the seawater that makes the head stink more than anything else, and when you remove this from the equation you get far less (or almost no) odor. Also you use less water per flush so you fill your holding tank more slowly (nice side benefit). The only downside is you have to buy a new head and the installation can be a bit of pain (have to tap into your pressurized fresh water system). However if you really want to solve the odor problem it's worth it. Wish I would have done this a while ago.

Take care,
-Levin