2000 340..Seacock Replacement

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
Is this a systemic problem with the 2000 340's. I ask because I also have the same seacock giving me the beginnings of stiff operating.
I first started to notice it last year but a little grease seemed to make it like new again. Fast forward to yesterday and it just slightly hard to move again.
Interested if others are having this same situation.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Can't really speak to whether it's a common problem to our particular boats, but it may be.
On my boat, I feel it may be from a lack of use for that seacock or at least extremely limited use as compared to all the others on my boat.
The engine seacock and head "intake" seacock have constant use of water entering. So they are constantly lubricated.
The galley seacock has soapy water or at least water running through, therefore lubricated.
But the Head sink gets limited use and very little water to lubricate it compared to the others.

It's just my opinion, but as stated in this forum...mineral oil does work to keep it free, if still somewhat stiff. And should keep it working until I haul in the fall and really see what's going on with it.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
While looking around Youtube, I discovered this Brit with video - how he is removing his sea-cocks.
Thought this might give you some ideas with your project.
If you watch at the beginning when he gives you a close up of the three outer flanges, you will see two nubs on the inside of the flange. You use a flange wrench to grab the flange nibs and twist off the flange. This allows you to unscrew the threw hull from the inside. Because some use an adhesive caulk like 5200 you may have to deal with that. 2 options that I am aware of. Heat to soften the 5200 and or 3M makes a chemical to release 5200. Your option. Here the Brit uses brute force.
Is anyone seeing anything besides an Etsy advertisemement on this youtube video?

Thanks

Sep 26, 2008
The seacock in the Head from the sink revisited......
Now that my boat is out of the water, I took on the issue this morning. It was all but impossible to move the handle a 1/4 of an inch in any direction.
So I thought I would try heat. I used a heat gun on the body and just where the the handle meets the body of the seacock. Within about 3 minutes of on and off heat the seacock was hot but not to hot to touch and hold and the handle started to move.
Another minute on the low setting and the handle was free. I was able to flip it open and closed with one finger. Looking outside at the thru hull opening I can see a small trickle of thin white grease about an inch long. I used a long thin bristled brush and could go completely up into the seacock, but nothing further is coming out.
I sprayed it with a light oil for now to keep it lubricated and will check it later this week to see if it is still free.
My guess is, I used to much grease and it hardened up inside.
I'll replace the line from the sink to the seacock later, after it makes it through the winter without ceasing up on me again.
As it stands right now, it's the most free seacock on the boat. I'm thinking I'll use heat on the others to clean them out also and regrease them. If this proves to be the remedy.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The CG officer is wrong. See 33 CFR 159.7(b)-(c) (Code of Federal Regulations) here:
It is obvious that the eurocrat that wrote this clause knew nothing about boating. The four methods offered prevent nothing. Besides, my inspection receipt states I passed, which works for me.

Levin

Apr 7, 2007
Hunter 340 San Diego
For those wondering if this is a systemic issue on 2000 Hunter 340s, put me down in the "yes" column. Just replaced this seacock this summer when I was hauled out for bottom painting. Same problem as everyone else, couldn't close it. Strangely it was the only thru-hull with this problem.

Take care,
-Levin

Sep 26, 2008
Levin,
I've been asked this "systemic" question by numerous people, on all different boats, since I started to ask around the marina. Aside from the hygienic aspect, this particular sink does not get the same amount of use the others seacocks get or the amount of soapy water the galley gets. And that's oily soapy water, so therefore lubricated each time.
There's a lot to be said for using Dawn, we all have on the boat anyway.
As a further comment to this, when I brought this to my marina managers attention to put on the list of either winter replacement or repair, (because I had just about had it with this thing) he even suggested keep "exercising it" and spraying lube from both ends, before he got involved.
Saving me...who knows how much money in replacement or repair costs. My hats off to him for that.
But be cautious, a little lube goes a long way. It think that was my real problem, I just over greased it and the little bit of heat freed it.
My advice, so far.....Be wary of the adage...if 1 aspirin is good, 10 must be real good. Same goes for grease.