20 hp Beta as Repower for 1982 C-30

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Consider this....I had the 1990 Catalina 30 with the Universal M25xp. I loved that engine and it was a great engine (Kubota diesel).

Catalina put that same engine in the Catalina 34 and The Catalina 36 in those years. My Uncle had a Catalina 34 with the same exact engine. He could motor slightly faster. This was because of waterline and prop size.

My thoughts were that the M25xp was a great engine for the Catalina 30 but the dunderheads at Catalina never left enough room for an adequate prop. The Catalina 30 lost a lot of push because of that small prop that it has, even the three blade prop. You can't even put a bigger prop on it even though the Catalina 34 has the same engine, same transmission, but a larger prop. Reason is hull clearance.

My Catalina 30 spent a lot of time cruising the Chesapeake Bay. I was glad to have a strong diesel when it got shitty out there. Other lesson learned is that if you are trying to motor into a big chop with big wind you should reef the main and sail with a little main up and just some of the main drawing wind. It keeps the boat from hobby horsing.

Get the correct size engine for the boat and don't go with a nominal size. Just my 2 cents.