20 hour test in 2 parts?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Im planning to do a 20 hour battery capacity test with a constant C/20 load as Maine Sail has described. I'd like to know if doing the test in two 10 hour segments, separated by 8 hours is still accurate. That would let me keep the current constant by adjusting the load without worrying about it changing overnight.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
The short answer is NO. Stopping the draw on a load test gives the battery bank recovery time which will give you an inaccurate test result.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David. Why not video your test. Would give you the 20 hour result while you do other things like eat and sleep.

May 17, 2004
David. Why not video your test. Would give you the 20 hour result while you do other things like eat and sleep.
I thought about that, but I'm using an amp meter that's not really rated for continuous use. I'm using a switch to switch between the amp meter leads to measure the current and a direct lead. The load is a light bulb with a dimmer to keep the draw at 5A as V changes. Each hour or so I'm going to switch to the amp meter and adjust the load to keep at 5A, then switch back to the direct lead.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have one long day ahead of you. Coffee is recommended. A cold beer, or stronger after all the testing is done.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Im planning to do a 20 hour battery capacity test with a constant C/20 load as Maine Sail has described. I'd like to know if doing the test in two 10 hour segments, separated by 8 hours is still accurate. That would let me keep the current constant by adjusting the load without worrying about it changing overnight.

No it s not going to be accurate. You'll get a ball park but your real 20 hour capacity, as compared to the actual, will be higher with a pause...

May 17, 2004
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll plan on making some continuous adjustments.